Files on SD Card are not being recognized

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Files on SD Card are not being recognized

Postby bhoward4219 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm running version 4.3.316 HandDBase on my ZTE 740 Android phone. Previously I was using a 16GB SD Card and had no problems. I upgraded to a 32GB SD card, transferred all my data from the 16GB card to the new 32GB card while it was inserted into my phone. Now when I open HandDBase, some of my files are not showing up. I verified that they are on the card in the right directory etc. Any suggestions? The particular database file that is not working has been working for months up until the upgrade.
bhoward4219

Re: Files on SD Card are not being recognized

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:39 am

Try copying the databases to the "HanDBase" folder that is found at the root level of the phone's internal storage. HanDBase doesn't support reading from an external card in Android 4 due to limitations imposed in the operating system.

After moving the files open HanDBase and you should find your databases are available.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby bhoward4219 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:27 am

I've tried this. HandDBase will NOT recognize any files on the phone's memory. Whether it's in root or the HandDBase folder. Only from the memory card. My Phone's operating system is version Android 4.1.2
bhoward4219

Postby mjhanna » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 pm

The problem is the Android operating system, not HanDBase. The OS used to allow apps to use the SD card, but they intentionally changed the OS to block that capability. Aftr serious user complaints the upcoming Lollipop version of Android will again allow apps to use SD cards, but only if the app is upgraded.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby curtterp » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Michael, the problem with accessing the SD card was first introduced in KitKat, the original poster is still on JellyBean.

Mr Howard, if you put the 16gig card back in, do you see the databases?
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:55 am

When you start HanDBase, does it see *any* databases, such as the samples Movie Jukebox, etc? If not, please uninstall and reinstall from Google Play. Then open it. The samples, which will be placed in the "HanDBase" folder at the root level of the phone's internal storage should be listed when you open HanDBase. Assuming this gets the samples to show, copy all of your databases to the "HanDBase" folder.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android