Two different sets of parent/child relationships

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Two different sets of parent/child relationships

Postby mjhanna » Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 am

It appears that you cannot define two separate parent/child (link/linked) relationships between different sets of records from the same two databases. For example for record A in parent database X I wish to identify that Records 1, 3, and 7 in child database Y are Record A's Alpha children. But would also wish to identify that Records 4, 12 and 29 in child database Y are Record A's Beta children. This implies that any record in child database Y, such as Record 14, could have two different parents in database X: Record C as an Alpha and Record M as a Beta. (I hope this description is understandable.)

I can define two separate sets of link/linked fields. From a parent record I can add an Alpha child which is now properly linked. But going to the child database and trying to set the Beta link to a different parent produces all kinds of errors, including database halts.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish something like this?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Re: Two different sets of parent/child relationships

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 am

Hi Michael,

Are you saying you are encountering problems creating multiple parent/child relationships in the same database? That should not be a problem, so if you can send me your files and details about fields to support@ddhsoftware.com I'd like to check on this further.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mjhanna » Sat May 23, 2015 10:07 am

Yes, Brian, multiple different parent/child relationships between the same two databases. However, I reanalyzed my database structures and reconfigured them so the multiple relationships were no longer needed. I will attempt to recreate the issue in two small test databases. It was probably some error of mine, but will still try to replicate it since it did crash HanDBase.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed May 27, 2015 9:04 am

mjhanna wrote:Yes, Brian, multiple different parent/child relationships between the same two databases. However, I reanalyzed my database structures and reconfigured them so the multiple relationships were no longer needed. I will attempt to recreate the issue in two small test databases. It was probably some error of mine, but will still try to replicate it since it did crash HanDBase.

If you continue to get the error after trying again, please send me a copy of your databases so I can debug here.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android