Booted Out of Program after Entering Encryption p/w

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Booted Out of Program after Entering Encryption p/w

Postby ForestCat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Subject says it all. After an uneventful year of daily use/access, today I enter my encryption p/w, and the program exits. Have tried re-starting the phone.
No recent updates to anything, phone is rooted, auto-updates are off.

What are my options here?
ForestCat

Re: Booted Out of Program after Entering Encryption p/w

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:03 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Very sorry to read of the issue you experienced. Since the file is encrypted, there is no way for us to try to recover the contents and rebuild it, unfortunately. Hopefully you have a backup of the file that can be used to replace the non-working version. To replace, simply overwrite the non-working copy with the working copy, moving it into the "HanDBase" folder at the root level of the phone's internal storage.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby higlider » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 am

I have a database of passwords that is encrypted. I have been using it for years, and used it this morning, but now when I give the pwd, it simply exits, doesn't ask me to try again. I have never seen this happen before. I am using version 4.9.063 on an iPhone 5. What causes this behavior? Any suggestions on how I can get it to work again, or is this behavior a sign of corruption from which there is no recovery? Thanks.
higlider

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi there,

Indeed it's a sign of corruption. I think I answered your separate topic on this- but you can email a copy to Brian of the corrupt file and an old backup and he can try to manually recover it. If you do have a recent backup, it's your best option.

Data corruption is generally caused if the app is closed or interrupted while writing out the file. We do handle running in the background if you switch out as it's saving, but it seems there are other cases we can't stop from happening. Thankfully it is rare- I use HanDBase probably more than any other user, and I have had it happen twice in the last 9 years on my end. I can definitely appreciate the frustration and hope that when I can redesign the format I can build something more robust that can survive this type of failure and not lose everything!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for Android