Spontaneous encryption of files

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Spontaneous encryption of files

Postby abarnard » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I am running HanDBase 4.6.316 on a Samsung Galaxy. When opening a recent set of collected data on the desktop or on the android, I'm prompted to enter the decryption password. However, I never encrypted my data and therefore have no way of accessing my data - it appears that HanDBase has spontaneously encrypted my data. The backup has been lost so I have no alternative way of accessing it. Is this a known issue or is there a solution?
abarnard

Re: Spontaneous encryption of files

Postby dhaupert » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 am

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of the trouble you're seeing. Since HanDBase databases are binary, any sort of corruption of the data file results in strange behavior. Most commonly, the bytes of data that store whether the database is encrypted or not are the first to show the corruption and so the fact that you are asked to decrypt a non-encrypted database probably means the data is corrupt. You can send a copy of the database to support if you'd like for us to see if it's corrupt and possibly repairable. Just email: support@ddhsoftware.com with the database file.

Unfortunately if it can't be repaired, the only course is restoring a backup, which you mentioned you didn't have any.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Android