Syncing Between Two Android Devices

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Syncing Between Two Android Devices

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 pm

I mainly use HanDBase on my cell phone, but it would be nice to access some of my databases from my tablet at times. I really wouldn't want to make any changes to the databases on my tablet and be able to sync them back to my phone, although that would be a nice feature.

All I really want to be able to do is have a copy of these databases accessible on my tablet. I have HanDBase Desktop version 4.7.5 (HanDBase Enterprise for Android Add-on 4.6.2 Build R2) on my Windows laptop that I sync my phone to for back up purposes. I just loaded HanDBase on my tablet and sync'd that to my laptop, but it didn't copy all the phone's backed up databases over to the tablet.

If I go into 'Manage Android Users and click on the sync setting for my cell phone, on the right-hand side of the screen I see a section called 'Sharing'. If I check the box for 'Share This Database with other Andoid users' I can then select my tablet as the other user I want to share with, but I don't see a button to save these settings.

If someone could point me to a tutorial or something on how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.
Small Shiny Objects

Re: Syncing Between Two Android Devices

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:05 am

Hi,

You are on the right path.

In the lower right corner of the sync dialog, you'll see an option to enable sharing for all Android users. Click on a database in the column at the left and then click on this option. Repeat for each database you want to share. When finished close the dialog. Then repeat for the other Android device.

Afterwards test by:

1. Add a record to a database on one device
2. Sync that device with HanDBase on your computer
3. Sync the second device with HanDBase on the computer
4. On the second Android device, open the database and verify the new record is there
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby GJHmf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:38 am

This has been discuss on here before.

Another option if you don't want to sync via a computer is to sync your mobile data files on each device using a 3rd party app called FolderSync. Using this to schedule syncs (or manually via shortcuts) works for well enough me:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rsync.full

(There's also a lite version)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
GJHmf

Postby curtterp » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:22 am

GJHmf wrote:This has been discuss on here before.

Another option if you don't want to sync via a computer is to sync your mobile data files on each device using a 3rd party app called FolderSync. Using this to schedule syncs (or manually via shortcuts) works for well enough me:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rsync.full

(There's also a lite version)

The problem with using folder sync or something like that, is that it is NOT a record level sync. If you make changes on both devices, and then folder sync works, the last sync is the winner and you will lose the data entered on the other device.

Using HanDBase Desktop, you get the record level sync, but you need to sync both devices to get the changes from the device to the other device.

HanDBase Desktop Workflow example
  • Sync the Android Phone to the Laptop. All the changes from the laptop and phone are synced
  • Sync the tablet to the laptop. All the changes from the laptop and phone are synced to the tablet.
  • Sync the phone to the laptop again. The changes from the tablet are now synced with the phone.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby GJHmf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:45 am

Oh I totally agree. FolderSync isn't a perfect solution, for all the reasons you give - but certainly acts as a one-stop-shop that currently suits my own needs. Not only for HanDBase, but also for documents and mobile game save syncing.

GJHmf

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks guys, I think I'm all set. I first had to manually copy all my databases to the tablet, so I'm not sure if I missed a step somewhere or if that is the way you have to do it, but either way I think it is working now.
Small Shiny Objects

Return to HanDBase for Android