add preference for Cancel button behavior

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

add preference for Cancel button behavior

Postby Mike-6744224 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:02 am

When entering data or text in a record, there is a row of "buttons" below the data entry area. When entering text, it's across the middle of the screen (above the keyboard). I'll call them control buttons (the checkmark for OK (or Save), X for cancel, + for add, etc).

All too often I accidentally hit the X when entering information in a record, and suddenly find that the record is gone, cancelled. Sometimes that costs me many minutes (or more) of work. The primary problem is that these devices have small screens, so the control buttons are very close in screen space to where I'm typing. I would VERY much like to change the Cancel behavior to add a confirmation popup, especially if there's new content in the record that would be discarded by the Cancel. Could that be made the default behavior or add a preference so that I can tell it to confirm cancellations? An alternative would be to add more pixels above the control buttons, but i don't think any of us want to lose more screen space.

This is even more problematic when I'm trying to touch the blue cursor badge to activate the Paste function in the last row of a text field, since the blue badge hangs over the control button row and it's all too easy to not hit it exactly. When it's hanging over the cancel button it's like Russian Roulette for my record.

The Delete button (trashcan) already raises a similar popup, so the code exists for the popup, if it could simply be invoked when the Cancel button is pressed.

In case it matters, I'm not using forms. I've seen the behavior in both display formats; that is, with "Put Field Names on Separate Line" checked or unchecked.

Thanks, Mike
Mike-6744224

Re: add preference for Cancel button behavior

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for writing.

When using custom forms, during the initial configuration have the ability to either not show some or all of the default buttons at the bottom of the screen. By opting to not show some or all of the buttons at the bottom of the screen, when adding controls to the form you then have the ability to add buttons with those same actions of new record, cancel, etc, wherever on the form that you would like them to be, giving you total flexibility in the layout and helping you to make sure that the issue you are experiencing now doesn't haunt you.

I encourage considering purchasing the forms addon if you haven't already.

If you have any questions, let us know, please.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android