Total Fail to Sync to New Device

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Total Fail to Sync to New Device

Postby wauckl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Previous phone - Droid Mini. New phone - Droid Maxx. Went through the Setup New Android User steps as described in the Adobe guide. The wireless sync ran and reported that it was successful, and the Droid Maxx displayed a nice little sync log. But it wasn't successful at all! All that was on the new device were the sample databases, none of the ones I have created and that are on the old device and the dekstop. Deleted the new phone, tried again, nada. Tried syncing using the option, One Way Sync: Desktop records to Android device only. Nada. PLEASE HELP!!! (This is the fourth device I have used HanDBase on. Never had this problem before.)
wauckl

Re: Total Fail to Sync to New Device

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing.

Since you have successfully set up the sync partnership, the next step you will want to take is to install each of the databases from the computer to the new phone.

To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Open HanDBase Desktop
2. Switch to the old user in the DB Browser dialog
3. Open the first database
4. Select the menu option File / Install
5. When prompted, choose the new Android
6. Close the dialog and the database
7. Repeat for each additional database
8. Sync

The sync will copy the databases to the Android.

Alternately, copy the database files to the "HanDBase" folder found within the internal storage of your new phone using USB, a cloud service, or similar and then sync to get databases located under the proper partnership on the computer.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby wauckl » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks. The support you and Dave provide is incomparable. I used the alternate method of copying the files to the device, but interesting note: Before I could do that, initially, there was no HanDBase folder appearing on the device, even though I could open the app and see the sample databases. I tried powering it off and on, but that didn't change anything. But after I actually opened one of the sample databases, the HanDBase folder then appeared on the device. Thanks again.
wauckl

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up. We'll look at the code, as the folder *should* create upon first open of HanDBase, regardless of whether a database was opened or not.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby wauckl » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Just FYI: Well, shame on me. I left my nearly new Droid Maxx on the top of the car and made the fatal mistake of making a mental note to grab it after I completed the task I was performing. It stayed on top of the car for about two blocks, but then fell off and got run over and demolished. So again, trying to get databases from desktop to new phone and had same issue. This time I had to also reboot the new Droid Turbo2 to get the HanDbase folder to appear.
wauckl

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 am

wauckl wrote:Just FYI: Well, shame on me. I left my nearly new Droid Maxx on the top of the car and made the fatal mistake of making a mental note to grab it after I completed the task I was performing. It stayed on top of the car for about two blocks, but then fell off and got run over and demolished. So again, trying to get databases from desktop to new phone and had same issue. This time I had to also reboot the new Droid Turbo2 to get the HanDbase folder to appear.

Very sorry to hear about that...

Have you successfully installed on the new Droid?
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android