Relationship Field Not Working

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Relationship Field Not Working

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm confident this is a user error, but I'd appreciate some help in figuring out what I am doing wrong.

I have two separate databases, one for all the project information (Job Numbers) and one for tracking my time (Time Tracker). When entering a new entry into my Time Tracker, I select the Job Name as a DB Popup from the Job Number database.

Once that Job Name is selected, I need three relationship fields to pull over three separate job numbers (Job Number, Program Number, and Customer Job Number). In previous databases I have only used two relationship fields, the Job Number and the Program Number and this has worked fine.

Today when trying to have three relationship fields I can only get the first one to actually pull the data over. The only change I've done since being able to successfully make this work in the past is buying the $4.99 Custom Forms add-in. I haven't even set up any forms, I just decided to but that today and once I got my databases configured the way I wanted I was going to start playing with forms, but I can't get these relationships to work right.

Could simply purchasing the Forms add-in somehow be the cause of my issues, or is it more likely user error? The only strange thing I'm seeing when trying to set up these relationships is sometimes in the drop down lists for "Which Field In Other Database" and "Show From Other Database" it actually displays the names I've given to the fields in the second database instead of stating "Field 1" or "Field 2" etc. Other times it shows the "Field 1" or "Field 2". I'm not sure why it isn't being consistent, but regardless of what the drop down lists show, I can't get the last two of my relationship fields to work, just the first one.

Any ideas?
Small Shiny Objects

Re: Relationship Field Not Working

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Well, I just found out something weird. Depending on how I order the fields using the "Change Field Order" has an impact on whether or not the relationship fields actually work or not.

I found this out by accident, as setting up another set of two databases, one for tracking my mileage and one for tracking my expense reports where I submit my mileage reports. I added that third 'Customer Job No' field and initially forgot to reposition it up next to the other two relationship fields. Low and behold when it is the last field in the DB it pulls the information over, but if I reposition it to be near the other two relationship fields it does not work.

Plus, if I position it to be above the first relationship field that field that was first and was working, will no longer work if it is directly below this field. Hopefully this clue will help to figure out what is going on here.
Small Shiny Objects

Postby curtterp » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Small Shiny Objects wrote:I'm confident this is a user error, but I'd appreciate some help in figuring out what I am doing wrong.

I have two separate databases, one for all the project information (Job Numbers) and one for tracking my time (Time Tracker). When entering a new entry into my Time Tracker, I select the Job Name as a DB Popup from the Job Number database.

Once that Job Name is selected, I need three relationship fields to pull over three separate job numbers (Job Number, Program Number, and Customer Job Number). In previous databases I have only used two relationship fields, the Job Number and the Program Number and this has worked fine.

Today when trying to have three relationship fields I can only get the first one to actually pull the data over. The only change I've done since being able to successfully make this work in the past is buying the $4.99 Custom Forms add-in. I haven't even set up any forms, I just decided to but that today and once I got my databases configured the way I wanted I was going to start playing with forms, but I can't get these relationships to work right.

Could simply purchasing the Forms add-in somehow be the cause of my issues, or is it more likely user error? The only strange thing I'm seeing when trying to set up these relationships is sometimes in the drop down lists for "Which Field In Other Database" and "Show From Other Database" it actually displays the names I've given to the fields in the second database instead of stating "Field 1" or "Field 2" etc. Other times it shows the "Field 1" or "Field 2". I'm not sure why it isn't being consistent, but regardless of what the drop down lists show, I can't get the last two of my relationship fields to work, just the first one.

Any ideas?

When you want to pull in more than one field in a relationship field, at the bottom of the field setup page, you will see a group field. Make all the fields you want to pull over the same number (default is "0" which means no grouping).

Make all three fields a group of 1 for the three you want to pull over..... then all three should pull information over for you
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Small Shiny Objects » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Right now the only field I have set up as a DB Popup field is the 'Job Name' field. I was using that field to be the link between the two databases. The three job number fields I want to pull from the one database to the other I had set up as Relationship fields, which don't have the Group option. It is only the DB Popup field which has a group option.

Are you saying I should set all four fields up as DB Popup's and not use the relationship field at all, or am I missing something here?
Small Shiny Objects

Postby curtterp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Small Shiny Objects wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

Right now the only field I have set up as a DB Popup field is the 'Job Name' field. I was using that field to be the link between the two databases. The three job number fields I want to pull from the one database to the other I had set up as Relationship fields, which don't have the Group option. It is only the DB Popup field which has a group option.

Are you saying I should set all four fields up as DB Popup's and not use the relationship field at all, or am I missing something here?

DBpopup is the easiest way to bring information over from one database to another. By easiest, I mean the easiest to setup. The only downside of a DBpopup field is that the value of the field is what is on that record in the other database at the time of bringing the data over.

Looking at your first post, I am assuming that each job is one record within the Job Number database. If that is the case, I would use all DBpopup fields and group them together.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 pm

I decided to check to see how easy/hard it was to setup what you are looking for as Relationship Fields.......

Attached are 2 database in 1 zip file that has everything that you are looking for (I think). Take a look at them to see how it was done.

Executive Summary:
  • There are two databases in the zip file, Job_Numbers and Time_Tracking.
  • Job_Numbers was setup with the fields that you described, plus an additional field (Price per Unit)
  • Time_Tracking has the Job Name as a DBpopup field, the other 4 fields are relationship fields
  • Time_Tracking also has a Total Due field which is calculated (Hours x Price per Unit)
  • Time_Tracker has another Calculated Field (Previous Grand Total + Total Due)
  • Time_Tracker also has 4 Views with Filters. The name of the view is descriptive of the filter

I also included a little bit of data to show what the filters do, plus testing the relationships. Everything came over just fine.

These databases were created on my iPad, but they should work on your Android. All the field types used are available on Android.

The Databases are in the Category named Test. You will need to change the properties to put them in the category that you want them in.

Let me know if this helps you with your databases.
Attachments
Jobs.zip
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:35 am

The original poster contacted me off the board, and emailed me his databases for me to take a look at.

I installed his databases on my iPad and ran them. I have no problems with his databases pulling information on the 4 relationship fields.

The sample that I did for him worked on his Android device. He does have a lot more information in his databases, but only 4 relationship fields, 3 related to the database in question, and another related to another database.

I advised him to send the databases to support @ ddhsoftware . com, along with a link to this thread and a note of what he is experiencing.

It would be easy to say that Android is the culprit, but the sample databases that I posted worked on his Android device, so at this time I am at a loss of what is happening.

I am hoping that Brian or Dave will have some more insight of what might be happening.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for Android