Sync failing after moving to Android Pie

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Sync failing after moving to Android Pie

Postby IAS1962 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 am

My Handbase setup was syncing seamlessly till I just changed devices from Galaxy S9+ to Pixel 2 XL, moving from Android 8 to Android 9 (Pie).

I have successfully moved databases from old device to new device by opening each file in old device folder (on desktop), clicking "save as" then selecting new device's folder to save it into, then syncing.

But the databases are failing to sync any changes in either direction. The log gives a stream of "Error: Code 200: HTTP/1.0 200 OK" messages.

I suspect there is an issue with Android Pie but would welcome any input please. I use the software a great deal and don't know how I'll get by without being able to sync!
IAS1962

Re: Sync failing after moving to Android Pie

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:29 am

Hi there,

Thanks for writing- it could be that Android Pie is a factor in your problem, though we have seen this error coming up in older versions for some people. A few users who had trouble were using an antivirus that was blocking the downloads. can you tell me if you have any A/V software on your Android device and/or the computer that its connected to?
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby IAS1962 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi. I don't have any antivirus on my phone. I use Panda Dome free version on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
IAS1962

Postby SkiRev » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm

I just bought a OnePlus 6T (which uses Android Pie) and am experiencing the same issue. I was able to create a new user, and I could install my databases from the desktop to the new phone, but when I try to sync I get the same error code described.
SkiRev

Postby GJHmf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:15 pm

I have a Pixel 2 phone with Android 9, and I cannot sync with my Windows desktop client. The Pixel 2 has no antivirus software present on it.

In contrast, my old Nexus 5X with Android 8 has no difficulty syncing to the Windows desktop client.

If anyone has any potential solutions, I'm willing to test them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
GJHmf

Postby curtterp » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:44 pm

GJHmf wrote:I have a Pixel 2 phone with Android 9, and I cannot sync with my Windows desktop client. The Pixel 2 has no antivirus software present on it.

In contrast, my old Nexus 5X with Android 8 has no difficulty syncing to the Windows desktop client.

If anyone has any potential solutions, I'm willing to test them out.

The antivirus software that they are talking about earlier in the thread, is the antivirus software on Windows.

Try turning off any antivirus software (temporarily) and try to sync.

Also, if you have a firewall on your Windows, make sure that both HanDBase Desktop and Sync have permissions to run through the firewall, or turn off the firewall and try again.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby GJHmf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi,

After disabling all anti-virus and firewall settings on my Windows 10 laptop, I still get the same issue where syncing doesn't work from my Android 9 Pixel 2 phone over Wi-Fi, which has no ability to have a removeable memory card. The sync error I get is as follows:

"The device is reporting no databases installed. This may be erroneous, and because you have the memory card removed, the device mounted to your computer or some other reason. If this is the case, and you continue the sync, your databases will be archived on the desktop. Are you sure you want to sync at this time?"

I never got this error on Android 8.1.

As always, I'm open to test any potential solutions.

GJHmf
GJHmf

Postby curtterp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks for verifying that the AV and Firewall is not the issue.

I am just a person that tries to help out with troubleshooting, not the programmer. Hopefully, Dave will be around soon to let you know what he might have found/fixed.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to get hold of Android Pie to do testing. I'm hoping to have access very soon from a borrowed device! I will know more when I can try this on my own and do some debugging.

Very sorry about this- in the meantime, using something like Google drive as a way to get your data to and from HanDBase seems to work out well enough.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby GJHmf » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 am

Thank you for responding. If there's any further testing I can do for you on Android 9, please let me know.

Also, thanks for the suggestion. Thankfully I do use Google Drive and an app called FolderSync to back up and restore my database files to and from all my Android devices. Not just for HanDBase files; documents and game saves too.

I have a notion for a temporary alternative for the PC client/Android syncing. If that works for me, I'll share on here.

GJHmf

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android