HanDBase on Android Next?

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HanDBase on Android Next?

Postby outerjoint » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:53 pm

I've been using HanDBase on PalmOS since early 2001 and, at the risk of discrediting everything I say, that's still what I'm using(!). Structured Data-in-a-Pocket is what HanDBase is all about, and this notion is what makes it such a killer. At least one pundit has now said that Android may catch up to the iPhone by 2012 given the most recent surges and splashes. My youngest son just bought an Android HTC T-Mobile MyTouch several weeks ago and has been blowing my mind on a daily bases with its greatly expanded apps repertoire. My other son has had an iPhone for the last 9 months. Android has some catching up to do, but given that Android has really only just now made its real debut, and its open/shared/collaborated market structure, it seems to me that Android has what it takes. Should HanDBase be ported over? DuAHhah :roll:
outerjoint

Postby docinfiniti » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:33 pm

dhaupert wrote:
1) How to sync with Mac/Windows desktop version given that Android doesn't appear to do a standard desktop sync conduit... Along with this - how do we transfer the existing DBs from our current device to the Android?

WiFi is certainly the way to go.

also, there are some concerns about memory limitations on the Motorola droid. Therefore, the ability to run large database files off the memory card is desirable.
docinfiniti

Postby dag » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Yes! There are only two things preventing me from changing from my PDA to an Android phone, Spider Solitaire and HanDBase.
dag

Postby m-mike » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:13 pm

I have been using Handbase on Palm and WM since early this century. I did not jump to the Droid because Handbase is not available on Android. I am very glad to see this discussion here. Looks like there will be a Droid under my tree.
m-mike

Postby m-mike » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Once I got Droid, I will have have a WM device. I am using the Sync Exchange to sync all my devices and computers. Will the Android version co-exist to the setup?
m-mike

Postby dhaupert » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:02 am

Hi there,

I'd like to be able to say yes to that, but not sure at this point as the conduit part comes after we get the basic database engine running on the device. So it's just too early to know. Once I know how we'll be able to access the data from the desktop, we'll have a solution mapped out and I'll share it here. The most likely scenario is that it will sync just like the other platforms and support solutions like Sync Exchange, but with each mobile platform, there are a new set of challenges, so we'll see..!
dhaupert

Postby chuch26 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:51 am

Just for the record, I too used to use HanDbase on my Palm OS device and append the data to an MS Access database using Exchange. I think the newer versions export to Access without an add on program. I hope the Android version also does that. I am a Verizon customer that is still using an older smartphone. I would like to switch to the Droid but I would like to see a good database app. :)
chuch26

Postby carmen5272 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:02 pm

I have my entire office database written in Microsoft Access. I also carry this with me on my WinMO device using HanDbase. Prior to that I interfaced a Palm using HanDbase. In October, I qualify for a Verizon upgrade. Although I would like to get the Motorola Droid, lack of HanDbase will be a deal breaker.
carmen5272

Postby Dr. Richard Williams » Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 pm

Perhaps someone has answered it; but, when you plug in the USB, the Motorola Droid SD card become another drive on the computer and its files are visible. I have Documents to Go and I can move files between the PC and the Droid; in addition, you can email files from the Droid. On the downside, you cannot manipulate data on the Droid and also the PC and then sync them like we did with the Palm. Now, one copies over the other. But it is manageable.

I would love the sync process to be as smooth as the Palm Pilot was, but oh well.
Dr. Richard Williams

Postby mike@dcsamerica.com » Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 pm

I use an open source syncronization program named Unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) that can synchronize files between the SD drive mounted from a Droid and my PC. It does have a merge feature, for when changes are made in both places, but I'm not sure how well this would work on a HandBase file, as I've never tried it, but it does work very well if the files are only changed in one place at a time. Hope this helps some people out.

Mike E.
mike@dcsamerica.com

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android