HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi all,

One of the advantages of moderating a forum is being able to say 'FIRST POST'! ;)

I'm excited to confirm that we are indeed developing a version of HanDBase for Android. I don't have a delivery date at this point as it's quite early in the development, but figured it was best to start a forum now rather than have posts speculating about Android in other forums. Please post your questions, comments, thoughts and more here- I'll try to answer your questions, but keep in mind that I may not have all the answers yet as it's way too early to know about some things!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Postby JayCee » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Great David,
That's just the news I've been waiting for :)
I've jumped ship from using a Win Mobile HTC Tytn II to the Android HTC Hero and was bemoaning the fact I wouldn't be able to use my HanDBase files on it.
Does this mean I'll be able to copy my .PDB files created with the Win Mobile phone to the microSD card in my Hero and be able to view them when the Android version is released?
Regards,
John.
JayCee

Postby dhaupert » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:25 am

That is the most likely scenario, but it's very early for me to tell what method syncing and database installation will be done. I'll know more in the coming months as it's closer to completion!
dhaupert

Postby docinfiniti » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Yea, with the Palm operating system shortly disappearing, and clunky Windows os's for handhelds, it's really relieving to hear that handbase will be ported to android. I have been using handbase and forms for probably over 10 years, having written my own patient tracking software for inpatient care, as well as several other programs to track medical usages -- and a coagulation, treadmill stress test in, pulmonary function reporting. I even wrote a CME tracker. I'm simply drooling at the thought of using these on a android-based machine.

Allow me to be the first volunteer if beta testers needed

RSS
docinfiniti

Postby vjpatterson3 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:36 am

I have been using HanDBase for several years on Win Mobile (and previously on Palm). I am using the HTC Hero. Love the Hero and am thrilled that you will develop HanDBase for Android. I have several databases in HanDBase that are essential. Great news.
vjpatterson3

Postby tjandt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:47 pm

This news has completely made my day! I had gotten so desperate for something to meet my previous handbase needs on the android that I started trying to learn java to program something myself!

If there is ANY need for beta testers for the Android platform, let me know as I'd be very happy to port over my databases from the Palm version to the Android!!
tjandt

Postby Marcuse601 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Yes Please do this quickly. I have used Handbase for at least 6 years on Palm machines. Due to this market development Palm is not a 'player' anymore in my country, so I had to change. My new phone is an Android one and it really lacks a good database app. I sure hope Handbase will fill in the gap. As I understand it Android will start taking up more of the market for Phones and such, so it in your interest to make your app available for Android users.
Proof ? I have no working Palm machine, but anyway I have kept my Handbase desktop on my Windows PC. So please, please , go ahead and fast~!!!!
Marcuse601

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks folks for your hearty response! What great encouragement to keep this development wagon train moving along. When we get close enough to beta, I'll surely let this group know.
dhaupert

Postby RPeadro » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:55 pm

I purchased the Droid Nov 6th. I have been using HanDBase on my pocket pc every day for years and plan to by the Android version the day it is released. Thanks.
RPeadro

Postby ErikSax » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:53 am

Thank you Dave. For many years I've used HanDBase on each mobile platform you have written for, including Symbian S60, Palm OS, Windows Mobile Professional, iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows XP/Vista and Windows Smartphone. Each time I change devices, I immediately look for a few core applications, including ActiveSync, eReader, a KJV Bible and HanDBase. In other words I look to have my stuff moved into my current device. Currently I am using the HTC Hero (the eReader application is now available for Android, now I have my books). Its a phenomenal device that excels as a phone and as the connected heart of my mobile world. The only thing missing is the ability to use the databases I have come to rely on for information management while on the go. It was quite satisfying to see that you have recognized the validity of this new platform, its potential and market-sway/momentum that consumers like myself have initiated. As always, you are right there, supporting us with timely releases of the powerful HanDBase mobile application to ensure that the rotation of the planet remains stable as we twitter from device to new device. Thank you. ;)
ErikSax

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android