HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Postby optixbil » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Just wanted to chime in. I almost didn't switch from my iphone to the droid because of handbase availablility. I too have used it since the palm pilot. Back then I had the palm and a cell phone. I am keeping the iphone to use as a pda for handbase until it is available for the droid, and am looking forward to having only one device.

Bill Belanger
optixbil

Postby dessa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Woo Hoo! Glad to see that work is starting.
I'm another long-time PalmOS user who has started looking at Android.
It will probably be after the New Year before I get a new phone, but I expect I'll be able to help beta test then.
I'm planning to install the emulator soon, so I could "gamma" test too :)
dessa

Postby TedETGbiz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:10 pm

I used and enjoyed HanDBase on the Palm several years ago, but switched to a Q and never got the software working. Now I am looking seriously at the Droid, and very much need a time/expense/project/mileage tracking front end for our consulting business. The iPhone is quite attractive, but AT&T is Satan's handmaid IMHO (and their coverage stinks). Therefore- please port HanDBase post haste!!

Thanks,
Ted T.
http://www.eTGVirtual.com/
TedETGbiz

Postby lhendrick » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Same here. I started using HanDBase on the Palm 4.x OS, then moving to Palm 5.x platform. Having just bought the Droid this past weekend, I knew HanDBase was a program I would need a replacement for. I checked before buy the unit, but it was time. I'm very excited about getting the software ported to the Android platform and think it will be beneficial to DDH.
lhendrick

Postby HandBaseFan1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Dear David:
I dragged my feet for the longest time before getting a new phone because, as much as I like the new Droid by Verizon, there was no option for HandBase. I was hanging onto my old and clunky Palm Treo until either Palm would show up on Verizon or HandBase on Droid. Last week the Treo died and I had to get a new phone. Knowing that you had started working on a Droid version, I went ahead with it. As I mentioned in another post, I have been using HandBase for a very long time. I am also a physician who has found many different uses for HandBase. As a matter of fact, I was giving a course at our annual national meeting on how to use Handbase to collect and streamline the medical billing process. That was at a time when PDAs were not as ubiquitous as they are now.
If I could wish one new feature, while you are working on porting Hnadbase to the Droid world, that would be a "dynamic cascading selection list". I woudl be happy to explain the details, if you think that this would be a good time to work on a new feature.
Many Thanks,
Fan#1
HandBaseFan1

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm

HandBaseFan1 wrote:Dear David:
I dragged my feet for the longest time before getting a new phone because, as much as I like the new Droid by Verizon, there was no option for HandBase. I was hanging onto my old and clunky Palm Treo until either Palm would show up on Verizon or HandBase on Droid. Last week the Treo died and I had to get a new phone. Knowing that you had started working on a Droid version, I went ahead with it. As I mentioned in another post, I have been using HandBase for a very long time. I am also a physician who has found many different uses for HandBase. As a matter of fact, I was giving a course at our annual national meeting on how to use Handbase to collect and streamline the medical billing process. That was at a time when PDAs were not as ubiquitous as they are now.
If I could wish one new feature, while you are working on porting Hnadbase to the Droid world, that would be a "dynamic cascading selection list". I woudl be happy to explain the details, if you think that this would be a good time to work on a new feature.
Many Thanks,
Fan#1

I'd love to hear about the cascading feature you envision. It's not really the right timing as first goal would be a working version and duplicating some of the key features, but I'm always interested in new ideas!
dhaupert

Postby rcaauwe » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:42 am

I have been a long time user of HanDBase on my Palm M515 and then on my Treo 755P. I have always thought I would be lost without my HanDBase. Now I have upgraded my phone to the HTC Hero, which has the Android OS. Now I know without any doubt that I would be lost without my HanDBase. I now have to carry my Hero and Treo around just so I have all my passwords, account information, medication list, and website list. So much for streamlining. It is exciting to know that work is underway to developing an Android version of HanDBase. I would be willing, even anxious, to do beta testing on the new version. Thank you for creating such a wonderful product and for working on intergrating it into the Android OS.
rcaauwe

Postby terrydec1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for all of your work. Handbase is unique. The multiplatform is a major plus (although a big pain for you :)). Hope my treo 700p last until you have an android version.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
-=terry=-
terrydec1

Postby cobra1100 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 am

Count me in! I will be more than happy to beta test as well. I've used HanDBase for years myself. I currently have the Blackberry version running on a Curve 8350i. But, I've also purchased a Motorola Droid and I absolutley love this phone. The biggest thing I miss is the databases that I use on my 8350i.

The only reason I even kept the Blackberry is because of the databases. I can't wait to get these things ported over to the Droid. I've searched high and low for a database app for the Droid and there is none. As far as I'm concerned, there is no other handheld database other than HanDBase anyway.

Please get this project completed as soon as possible. There are a lot more of us wanting it than are posting on these boards, I can assure you of that!

Thanks for listening to us!
cobra1100

Postby Aufty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:27 am

Hey Dave,
I'm adding my thanks and relief to all the chorus of posts that are happy to know a database is coming to Android.
However, no offense meant, I was most recently a user of DataViz's "SmartList to Go." There's was a great Database app on the Palm OS. I will be happy to switch to hanDbase if it comes out first and meets my needs. It has been too many years since I made a decision between SmartList To Go (which was originally ThinkDB) and hanDbase, but I believe the reason I choose SmartList was that it would sync directly with Microsoft Access. It also had its own desktop equivalent. I hope that you will seriously consider in your development efforts a good syn solution that could work with some well-known and easily available desktop database. Actually, my suggestion would be FileMaker Pro since it is available on Windows and Mac with file compatiblity both ways. It also works well as a web database (which might be a good wireless sync methodology).

Anyway, I'm glad you guys are working on it, and I really don't mean any offense, but you will probably want to see what you can do to capture SmartList To Go users like myself too. If you beat DataViz to market, I'm sure you will get the market advantage!

One other piece of input / request. So far, I'm finding many apps on Android that simply do not use the screen real estate well. Fields are huge in huge type, you get hardly anything on one screen without having to scroll down it. If a software keyboard comes up taking half the screen, you have even less space to see anything. Please make it possible to get more on the screens. Even coming from a tiny Treo screen, my apps there used to fit a whole lot more information on the screen that Android apps do with tons more pixels to work with (Moto Droid is my current device).

Thanks for listening, and do put me on you notice list or beta list, please.
Aufty

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android