HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HanDBase for Android - new forum created

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for your posting! I hope we can win you as a HanDBase user in the future.

I'm not sure either why you chose Smartlist over HanDBase ;) In actuality we sync with Access, and have done so for probably 7 years now, well before ThinkDB became Smartlist. In addition, we have a fully functional desktop program available since 2001, and equally as powerful as our mobile version.

In regards to the screen space problem, this is also a common problem on the iPhone. Any time there is a software keyboard using more than 50% of the usable screen space, you'll see this sort of thing. It took me a while to get used to that, but now I don't even think about it when using apps. In Android's case, you have some devices with a hardware horizontal keyboard, so in those orientations, it should take better advantage of the screen. From all I've read, supporting all the device resolutions and OS versions on Android is the biggest programming challenge, so we'll have to see how this plays out in the final product.

Have a great day!
dhaupert

Postby docdo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Dear Dave:

Thanks so much for letting us all know that an Android HandDBase is in the works.

All this talk about "early adopters" and physicians lagging behind has some validity, but there is a reason. New "cell phones" come out all the time with cool new features that do everything from playing music, taking photos, to shining your shoes (OK, so they don't shine your shoes yet, but they might soon!). Anyway, you get the drift, cell phones are no longer just how we make phone calls.

I see the savvy young users are really looking for a device that has the "most toys" so they can impress their friends. As a physician, I have found that I want the "toys" too, but for a different reason: I need to store patient data in a secure format and be able to transfer this data back and forth to different applications as computing and smart phone integration continues to become less complicated and more the norm.

Unfortunately, the flip side to this is that lots of new smart phones come out, but they don't seem to think about the physicians (probably because the young users are more of the market share, of course). This presents a problem to a lot of doctors who wait for their beloved medical applications to be bug free and available for their new devices.

Way back in medical school, I started using HanDBase with a free trial. I loved it! All the other medical students were using "pencil and paper" for their logs. I saw the future: I was going to need logs for residency, and that data needed to be able to be manipulated easily for data calculation purposes and also for future presentation of "procedural numbers" when applying for employment after residency. Some laughed at me for being such a geek. I got the last laugh. Before I finished residency, their was a requirement for PDA and digital logs. I argued my way out of transfering over to the new logging system as I had already developed my own drop-down lists and headings.

The long and short of all of this is I have been a dedicated user of HanDBase since then and rely on it for patient information. I started on Palm based applications Palm III and moved to the Tungsten C and finally to the Treo 650. This was when the trouble started as I had to decide if I wanted to go to a Windows platform from a Palm platform. I decided that I was not getting the right answers to my questions from anyone regarding what I wanted to do. Most sales people are not very up on medical based applications and smart phones, but they can tell you all about basic things that the marketshare of their users are interested in.

Well, Verizon has their program where you can switch to a new phone every 2 years. Let's just say, I have watched a lot of smart phones come onto the market and I have waited more than another 2 years to change because I was not ready to move to Blackberry. I like the Droid, it really seems to be the way that things are going and Palm seems to be a dying breed. I don't want to be a dinosaur and fail to change just so I can still use my Treo 650 and my HandDBase. Glad to hear that a Android HanDBase is in the works.

I do not want to switch from a program that has worked so well for me for so many years, but I am ready to change my device. I'd be happy to Beta teset when the timing is right on your end. Thank you for listening to the physicians who use your applications and keep up the good work
docdo

Postby bill2750 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 pm

I just want to say I am also anxiously awaiting a Droid version. I have been a user of Handbase for many years and miss it on the new phone. My old phone was a windows device and died, so it was not an easy decision to switch platforms knowing Handbase was not available.
bill2750

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks all for your comments and support! It seems that most users who have commented are Droid users, wondering if anyone is going for the NexusOne being sold directly from Google at this point?
dhaupert

Postby dcsparky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:19 pm

I used it for 2 days. so far so good.

its a sweet machine. just need HanDbase to make it scream.
dcsparky

Postby cmccants » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:00 pm

I am thinking seriously of switching from a Blackberry to a Droid but I came here first to be sure I could use HandDBase on it! While I'm disappointed that it is not available, I am very happy to see that it is in the works! May certainly be a reason to wait on the Droid as I love HanDBase and don't want to be without it!

Thanks for a great product - can't wait till the Droid version is available!!

Cheryl
cmccants

Postby frank62 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:18 am

Hurry. I cut over to a Droid at end of last year and the only reason my old palm is still plugged in and being recharged is to keep my various databases alive. Can't wait to have it all on my Droid phone. Would love to be a beta tester
frank62

Postby bill2750 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Count me in also, long time windows mobile user. Switched to Droid Eris and really miss my handbase databases.
bill2750

Postby tbyrne » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Just want to add my voice the the others anxiously awaiting handbase for android. I too am happy to be a beta tester when needed. I get my new Droid tomorrow and will have to figure out a way to use all me databases from my Palm Treo.
tbyrne

Postby LaurieBoutte » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:58 pm

I see a lot of droid users. Please do not forget the htc hero users. I has listpro on my windows phone. I have a hero now, but keep hauling around the old phone for the listpro info. I would LOVE HanDBase for Android so I can carry just 1 device around.
LaurieBoutte

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android