Android Assessment

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Android Assessment

Postby Boscovec » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Longtime HanDBase user on Palm OS.

Have a 755p purchased as a replacement for 650 when it's shortcomings were too much to tolerate anymore but didn't know where to go for a new platform. But I also bought with the thinking that I would going to a different platform in the future and this was just a way to keep doing what I have been without interruptions, purchasing new apps, and starting from scratch.

I am lurking when it comes to the new platform. Linux based platforms is an encouraging trend in my book.

My PC dual boots to PC Linux OS (as a start point) so that I have an alternative to Microsoft's apps. But it seems to have compiling shortcomings so another flavor of linux is in the near future. My brother has two Linux machines downstairs and he obviously influences me there. When I first installed PC Linux OS, I was impressed how easily it went, after finally choosing it from the bewildering assortment of Linux flavors out there.

From time to time you have offered a very helpful perspective on devices and platforms. As your business is definitely a "resource effective" enterprise and I since have always viewed HanDBase as indispensable, what is your opinion on Android?

I"m equally curious as to your thoughts on trends you see in the handheld device market, etc. as well.

Handheld platform-wise, I plan to continue lurking. HanDBase is still a prerequisite for wherever I go next but Android is something I have been almost staring at.

Any reflections are anticipated.
-----------------------------
Boscovec
Boscovec

Re: Android Assessment

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest in my thoughts and perspective. I think the Android platform has amazing potential. I have found the user experience to be an improvement over some devices (eg, Windows Mobile, S60), but a step backwards in some respects as well. I think many companies are already aware of this and that's why you'll see different layers added to the top of the base Android platform (eg, HTC has their Sense UI layer on top). I don't think that the layer solution is a good one however as this makes the market of Android devices inconsistent, for developers and users both.

One of the great things about the platform from a customer perspective is the wide variety of devices to choose from. From a development standpoint it creates a lot of additional burden trying to remain compatible with all the different resolutions, orientations, and even versions of the OS. I would imagine it would be hard to control this from a corporate standpoint as well. In the days when Palm OS and Windows Mobile (then Pocket PC) were the two major players, we had a lot of universities using HanDBase for students. One of the great draws of HanDBase was that students could buy a Palm or a Pocket PC device and HanDBase would run fine on it. Many schools thus did not standardize on a particular device and let the students pick their own favorite. This worked in terms of HanDBase, but created a lot of headaches for the IT departments who had to try to learn two different OS and all the flavors of these devices. After a year of that, most schools standardized on a single PDA (typically a Palm one since they were the cheapest).

I sense Android will have that type of IT struggle even within it's own platform!

All that said, the platform is wonderfully powerful, and has amazing potential. I'd still say the iPhone and Palm OS environments are simpler for novice users/employees/students/etc, but the outlook for Android to me is very promising. If Google can nip a few of the aforementioned issues in the bud (ie, fragmenting of the marketplace), they really could do well with this!
dhaupert

Re: Android Assessment

Postby Boscovec » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Dave;

Thank you for the reply. My wife has a Pre and she is really pleased with. Does some "neat" things, too. Contemplated purchasing it and can port all my apps with Classic.

The perspective is interesting and appreciated.

I guess I will just continue lurking for now and keep using the Palm as it has been ever so useful Platform-wise, over the years.

Dave
-----------------------------
Boscovec
Boscovec

Return to HanDBase for Android