Status?

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Status?

Postby Docthomas99 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 am

Very excited about this prospect.
I have followed/used handbase since palm days. (Blackberry, winmo, ppc)
Too many DBs to convert or switch.

Will gladly beta.
Time frame? I've had to revert to pen/paper for tracking till I can get home and enter into desktop version.

Would be easy enough to simply drag/drop from phone/pc or se drfopbox(free) to keep files in sync on pc.

Shawn
Docthomas99

Re: Status?

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your post. I am making slow but steady progress. I hope that by the latter half of April I'll be able to show some screenshots or demonstrate some progress to you all somehow. I will start a new thread when that happens so keep an eye out for it!
dhaupert

Postby wandro » Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 pm

hi,

curious as we all are about the progress on this version there always has to be one that bumps a thread like this :)
so this time it's me :)

could you please give a status update on how things are progressing, if you ran into unexpected issues and such?

thanks.
wandro

Postby oneseeker » Wed May 05, 2010 10:29 am

Please throw us a bone ... it's very dis-heartening to see updates for the iPad and no word on Android.
oneseeker

Postby mjt57 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 am

I have to agree. I got the iPad announcement today. Ironically, we cannot even get iPads here in Australia, let alone programs to run on it.
mjt57

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your posts and continued interest. For those that don't follow the iPhone/iPads closely, you may not know that the iPad and iPhone share a vast majority of code and even User Interface. Creating an iPad optimized version did take some effort, but nothing like writing a new version for a platform like Android. For this platform we're having to start nearly from scratch- in terms of User Interface we are starting from scratch and in terms of backend database code, we are reusing a great deal of the code, but in a completely different way (Using the NDK to make a C library we can call from the Java code).

I wish we could have had the Android version out by now- after all, I announced development of it before the iPad product was even announced in January. But writing for a platform like Android is a good 6-8 months of development just as the original iPhone version was for us, whereas the iPad was a far quicker project. I hope this makes sense, and hope that in the June timeframe I'll be able to share with you some updates. My goal is to get to a beta stage in the next 2 months, no promises, but that's my hope!

Thanks for sticking with us.
dhaupert

Postby GJHmf » Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 am

Even though I'm very keen to migrate my old Palm databases to Android, I can wait if it means I get a good stable replacement.

A question though; even with both being Java platforms as such, would there be much code that is transferrable from your Blackberry version?
GJHmf

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 07, 2010 8:06 am

Frankly if the BlackBerry version were up to the standards of any of our other programs, this could be a possibility. But it's the weakest version of HanDBase since it does not support our HanDBase database format, and instead has to use the internal BlackBerry database format. That means that it's not compatible with other platforms and even if it were, it would result in a sub-par experience for users. When we designed the BlackBerry version there was no Memory card slot, and so we had no way to support a standard flat file, so had no choice. With Android and now the BlackBerry there is a memory card slot, and thus we can support the native file format for HanDBase. I don't foresee us rewriting the entire BlackBerry application any time soon (but it is a possibility for the future), but I definitely wanted to do the Android version with this in mind!
dhaupert

Postby docinfiniti » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Not to beg the point, but its been a while, are things going, are there glitches, we all seem to be, with baited breath, waiting, faithfully. Toss that bone.
:? :ugeek:
docinfiniti

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 am

Hi there,

I have been thinking of maybe posting a blog or twitter update with what I'm working on so that you all could stay in the loop on the development. Sorry to keep you all hanging on with little information thus far. I've posted the first of a series of updates to the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=814&start=0

Will try to update at least weekly on the progress hereafter!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Android