HanDBase for Android Development Update: August 25th, 2010

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HanDBase for Android Development Update: August 25th, 2010

Postby dhaupert » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 am

Hi all,

I'm happy to share the progress of the HanDBase for Android version with you. It's coming along wonderfully thus far! In the past month, many screens and pieces of the functionality puzzle have been added. These include:

Edit Record screen menu:
Delete Record
Copy Record to New
Email Record
List view screen menu:
Email Records
Delete Records
Advanced Search
Repeat Search
Edit Popups screen
Landscape mode support
Encryption support
Password caching for encryption
Relational field types support:
DB Popup field
Relationship field
Link Field
Linked field

There is still a lot to do, and little time to do it in order to meet my self-imposed deadline of the end of September. This includes the Edit Filters, Edit Views, and DB Properties screens. I'm fairly confident that the program will be feature complete near the end of September, but the bigger question mark will be the conduit integration and testing results. I've already done some work on the conduits (mac and Windows both!) but there is a bit more to do once the actual HanDBase client is feature complete.

So at this point, while it's still possible that the program could release in September, I do think it's pushing back to the first week or two in October. I hope I can still deliver on September but want to be realistic with all that is left to do.

I will try to update everyone in mid September on where I am as by then I should be close to, if not finished with the coding!

Thanks for sticking with me through this long arduous process. I have spent many a late night the last 6+ months working on this, so I hope it's worthwhile to you all when I'm finally finished!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase for Android Development Update: August 25th, 20

Postby curtterp » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks for the update. It looks like it is coming along fine, and you are a lot farther along that I thought you would be with the extra work you have been putting in on the other versions to correct problems.

If you have to push back into October, that is fine by me. I would rather wait a couple of more weeks, than to have you 'hit' your deadline and the program be crappy.

Thank you for your hard work, and we will patiently wait for you to be happy enough with it to release it.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby tjandt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am

Dave,

I know at times, us users may come off as demanding or whiny when it comes to wanting something as quickly as possible. For me, that's primarily because your product is far superior to anything else that's available, and it makes me feel like a kid waiting to open his presents on Christmas Day!

I want you to know, at least from me, that I am truly appreciative of all the hard work you have put into this project, and am extremely grateful that you have decided to support Android. Take whatever time you need to ensure it meets your standards of quality before releasing to the general public. We will all be that much more happy working with a solid, bug free platform than muddling through an app that requires three or four updates before it's stable!

Thanks,
Tim
tjandt

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your vote of confidence and encouragement! It seems that there are typically two types of adopters of technology (both software and hardware). You're of the type where you'd be happy to wait for a refined and stable product. At the same time, we have a huge response from customers wanting to beta test or have early access. It's an interesting problem, as I can't really support that many testers. I'm wondering if I could release the product as a preview release like Hulu did for their Hulu Plus application. Then those who are the early adopters can go ahead and purchase right away, with those that are more like you waiting until it goes from 'preview release' to regular launch. Hopefully the length of time there will be pretty short, but being truthful- with all the varying device types the rapid development going on here, it's likely to take 3 or more quick update releases to get rid of bugs that beta testing just don't catch in the short amount of time. While I wish that were not the case, it's a sad fact of the reality of how this is being developed in such a short time frame.

I'll keep you all posted!
dhaupert

Postby wandro » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

thanks for the continuous updates and time invested
I'm sure the final product will be great and worth the wait

I really look forward to re-inventing my use for HanDBase because it's so versatile in data management
been using it on my Symbian some time back for months but this great application really needs a touchscreen :)
wandro

Postby Markbert53 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:44 pm

As anxious as I am to get what I consider this "Must Have" app on my Droid X, I certainly understand that something of the quality and versatility of HanDBase is no trivial project to code, test and distribute. Perhaps that is why there is nothing out there yet that I have found that comes close. As I mentioned in another forum, I wouldn't even commit to Android until I found out you were going to make an Android version.

So, I just want to add another thank you for your work and effort and to say that I too have no problem waiting for the quality product that history has shown you will deliver.
Markbert53

Postby tjandt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:38 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi Tim,

You're of the type where you'd be happy to wait for a refined and stable product.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am definitely an early adopter and will purchase the product immediately once it's available. I got the impression that perhaps there was too much pressure on you to push something out the door, and I didn't want you to feel too rushed with the project. I'd love to beta test the product, and don't mind working through a bug here or there. Just can't wait for it to be available to the masses!

Cheers,
Tim
tjandt

Postby fujislider » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:07 am

I've bought Palm, Nokia and iPhone versions. As long as there's a desktop version to go with it, and I can easily convert my existing databases, take as long as you want (read: Christmas :P) to get it right.
fujislider

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

David, every clock I have shows it to be September 27th. Impatiently waiting. Take care!
Ben

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:36 pm

LOL Ben, unfortunately Hawaii time is way further off than I thought it was!

Working my tail off to get this finished up as quickly as possible.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Android