csv import using Open-In

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

csv import using Open-In

Postby Alanwestwood » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:52 am

Surely I can't be the only one with this grumble.

I've been using HanDBase for some time now, and like it a lot. And it keeps improving. BUT, why do I still have to have to use another device and a web browser to feed csv data into my iPad databases? I can use Open-In to import and export pdb, but only to export csv. Why?!!

At the moment to feed csv data into my iPad HanDBase files from Numbers, Cyclemeter, Textastic, LogMyTraining, etc, etc, I have to export a csv file to FileBrowser, save it on a PC, Mac, or another iPad or tablet, open a browser there, and import it back to HanDBase on my iPad using your web server. What a chore, every time I want to send new data! Instead of several minutes to do this, I should be able to do it within seconds without leaving my iPad.

Please can you sort this - I've been waiting for months, expecting it to be added after bidirectional support for pdb files by Open-In was added. Its a mystery to me why it was omitted when csv export was added to Open-In. TapForms has allowed me to import and export csv for a couple of years, but its otherwise not as good as HanDBase - but nonetheless I drift back to it for some purposes solely because of this issue.

Thanks, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Re: csv import using Open-In

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:51 am

Hi,

We are actually testing this in the iPhone version right now! That means it will come to the iPad soon!

We sincerely appreciate your patience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:52 am

Hi,

We are actually testing this in the iPhone version right now! That means it will come to the iPad soon!

We sincerely appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Alanwestwood » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 am

Thanks Brian. I am so pleased to hear that! This issue has been driving me nuts, because its the ONLY reason I ever fire up my PC these days.

Great!!!

Regards, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

We really appreciate your patience, Alan!

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Serodgers » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:28 am

Any update to this? I see the latest iPhone version will import a .csv file via email with Open In,but the IPad for Education version I just purchased will not. It will Open .pdb files but not .csv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Serodgers

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:46 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. The iPad version has not yet been submitted as I was working on some other changes for iOS8. I anticipate submitting over the next several weeks however. Sorry for the delay!
dhaupert

Postby Delfi_r » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 pm

It’s possible to import a csv file in the current cersion of Handbase for iPad?

I need to create a database with the reuired fields? how I populate the database with the csv data?
Delfi_r

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Delfi_r wrote:It’s possible to import a csv file in the current cersion of Handbase for iPad?

I need to create a database with the reuired fields? how I populate the database with the csv data?

Hi there,

Yes, it's indeed possible. Using the Open In from another app you should be able to select HanDBase. You'll be given the chance to choose which database to import those records into. You can also use the Desktop Connect feature to import a CSV from your desktop or laptop.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby Delfi_r » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks, I've tried it and it works flawlessly. I've open the file from a website with a browser and open it with Handbase has asked to update or create a new database. Fine.

The desktop approach will follow, but the Mac version has not support for images (or at least this is what I've read)
Delfi_r

Return to HanDBase for iPad