Selectivelly open forms?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Selectivelly open forms?

Postby Delfi_r » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:24 pm

I’m designing a inventory database. It’s a Photographic equipment database. I have a inventory table where some items are Cameras, other are Lenses and other Accessories. I use auxiliary tables Brands and Purchase Stores.

I have a Cameras Table where the Description it’s taken from a popup form the Inventory table. And there is a relation to the inventory table so I can see the Inventory details form the Camera

The problem is on the Inventory Table. I want to selectivelly open a relationship with the cameras table if its a camera, but the Lenses Table if its a Lens, as some data are specific of the kind of item.

Is there a way to make a form that displays the data of the correct table?
Delfi_r

Re: Selectivelly open forms?

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:16 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately there isn't support for anything like that at this time. I get what you're after though and can see where it would be useful in this case!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby mjhanna » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

You might look at Conditional fields and see if you can make some kind of workaround.

I was thinking that you might first use a set of Hidden fields to retrieve every relationship. Then you could use a set of Conditional fields based on equipment type. Some would display the values from the relationship fields that are appropriate for that type of equipment if the equipment type matched. The rest that did not match would use the ELSE option to only output blanks. It would probably be clunky, but it might be adequate for your purposes.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Delfi_r » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 am

mjhanna wrote:You might look at Conditional fields and see if you can make some kind of workaround.

I was thinking that you might first use a set of Hidden fields to retrieve every relationship. Then you could use a set of Conditional fields based on equipment type. Some would display the values from the relationship fields that are appropriate for that type of equipment if the equipment type matched. The rest that did not match would use the ELSE option to only output blanks. It would probably be clunky, but it might be adequate for your purposes.

I missed the hidden fields workaround, I'll make a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

My first idea was to make an inventory app. not so complicated: inventory table, acquisition providers table, storage place table, ... then I make a brands table, with contact data. Then i realized that I can add technical data so I constructed the lenses and cameras tables. The project has grown and can be improved with conditional fields in a lot of ways. When I have a good approach I'll submit an example.
Delfi_r

Return to HanDBase for iPad