New to HanDBase

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

New to HanDBase

Postby chuxtable » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

I am new to HanDBase and am interested in how it will perform as a vegetation field data collection platform used on an iPad. What I need is a database with the capability of linking to GPS/G3 to spatilly reference sites. I have been using ArcPad on a Trimble Juno with a degree of success, however am attracted to the larger screen on an iPad.
What I want to be able to do is:

1. Have a database (preferably a geodatabase, or at least one which can import spatial coordinates into specified fields). Is it possible to link HanDBase to a geospatial reference, maybe with a link to a program such as GISRoam?

2. I need to have linked tables and forms that will allow one-to-many relationships to be established, eg. at a single site, there are some features that are only entered once (one-to-one relationship), such as date and recorder; and some where there are many, eg. recording a list of species that are found at the site - could be up to 50

3. I want to be able to select plant species from a large list - several thousand - is this possible in HanDBase. I was wondering if the long list could be sourced from an external web page

4. Is it possible to create dependant lists in HanDBase, so that the second list will be populated based on what was selected in the first list. This would be particularly useful for large lists of plant names, which comprise 2 arts - a genus and a species. There are many different genera, and some genera contain many different species. With a dependant lists, list 1 would contain the genus names, and list 2 would contain only those species from the genus selected in list 1
chuxtable

Re: New to HanDBase

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:23 am

chuxtable wrote:I am new to HanDBase and am interested in how it will perform as a vegetation field data collection platform used on an iPad. What I need is a database with the capability of linking to GPS/G3 to spatilly reference sites. I have been using ArcPad on a Trimble Juno with a degree of success, however am attracted to the larger screen on an iPad.
What I want to be able to do is:

1. Have a database (preferably a geodatabase, or at least one which can import spatial coordinates into specified fields). Is it possible to link HanDBase to a geospatial reference, maybe with a link to a program such as GISRoam?

Thanks for your post and questions. There is an external field type on the iPad to use the GPS of the device itself (which only comes with 3G/4G enabled iPads, not wifi only). It will fill in the GPS coordinates in a Lat/Long type of format into a field automatically or on demand. Alternatively if you are using a Bluetooth GPS device instead I believe in certain cases, they can act like a keyboard and virtually type in the values into a text field. From what I have heard though, is that when set up in this manner, the onboard keyboard is disabled, and thus you can't type into other text oriented fields. You'd have to disconnect the bluetooth driver each and every time you're making those edits. So hopefully the iPad you have works with the GPS/map field we have in place!

2. I need to have linked tables and forms that will allow one-to-many relationships to be established, eg. at a single site, there are some features that are only entered once (one-to-one relationship), such as date and recorder; and some where there are many, eg. recording a list of species that are found at the site - could be up to 50

No problems here!

3. I want to be able to select plant species from a large list - several thousand - is this possible in HanDBase. I was wondering if the long list could be sourced from an external web page

You can use a DB Popup field type for large lists. The idea is that a second database/table is the source of the value for a field. Then when you tap that field's popup dropdown, you're shown the other table to pick from. That database table can support up to 65000 records and you can sort it on an alphabetical field to get the sorting index to quickly scroll. You can also have a quick search field set up so that you can type part of the word you are looking for and get a filtered list of matches to easily find your match!

Here's a tutorial on setting up the DB Popup:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=253

There is no way to auto populate from a web site, but I'm sure you can do this from the PC if you download the data and import it into HanDBase.

4. Is it possible to create dependant lists in HanDBase, so that the second list will be populated based on what was selected in the first list. This would be particularly useful for large lists of plant names, which comprise 2 arts - a genus and a species. There are many different genera, and some genera contain many different species. With a dependant lists, list 1 would contain the genus names, and list 2 would contain only those species from the genus selected in list 1

Not at this time. There are a few ways to approximate this however. For example, your db popup list above can have views in the database. You can easily select views to limit the view of records. For example, you could take the most popular genera and create up to 20 views to show only those entries. (20 is the view upper limit at this time). Alternatively you can use the quick search feature mentioned above to search the genus and thus type out the part of the genus and see the list limited to that. Neither is a perfect solution but both are better than scrolling through a giant list each time!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPad