Can I sync Handbase between ipad and iphone without desktop?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Can I sync Handbase between ipad and iphone without desktop?

Postby leonsphinx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:31 am

I was trying to look for ananswer to this quiestion within the forum but cant seem to find an answer. Is it possible to sync handbase between my ipad and iphone directly without the aid of a desktop conduit? What I am doing now is I sync my ipad to my macbook , then sync my macbook with my iPhone, then sync back my MacBook again to my iPad. In that way, i have exact copies of my databases with all three devices. It does work but it's kinda tedious. Is there a better way to this?
leonsphinx

Re: Can I sync Handbase between ipad and iphone without desk

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting. If you use Dropbox, the best solution would be to use the Open In feature alongside it. From the Dropbox app, you can choose to download updated databases to HanDBase. Selecting a database will present you with the "open in HanDBase" option. Selecting it will cause the incoming database to merge with the database already on the device.

From within HanDBase, you can use the Open In option (found on the database selection screen - tap Manage and then tap the name of the file to see it) to upload the database to Dropbox.

Please note that when going from HanDBase to Dropbox, if the file in HanDBase is newer than the one in Dropbox, the incoming file will simply overwrite the older version. No syncing of records will take place.

Hope this gives you a workflow that is more portable. For even more functionality in this area, I encourage you to stay tuned for the future!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby leonsphinx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for the input. Will give it a shot
leonsphinx

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Great. Let us know if you have any questions or run into an issue while testing.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Kritou » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 am

" .........Hope this gives you a workflow that is more portable. For even more functionality in this area, I encourage you to stay tuned for the future!"

Does this cryptic endnote mean that something really is in the pipeline? I'm currently trying to ditch my PC so the ability to directly sync mi iPxx devices will be warmly welcomed
Kritou

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 am

Kritou wrote:" .........Hope this gives you a workflow that is more portable. For even more functionality in this area, I encourage you to stay tuned for the future!"

Does this cryptic endnote mean that something really is in the pipeline? I'm currently trying to ditch my PC so the ability to directly sync mi iPxx devices will be warmly welcomed

Hi,

Before I comment on your question, I wanted to add another option besides Dropbox for going iPad to iPhone. I personally have the same setup and I transfer databases to and from them routinely. Here are two other options for doing this:

- Desktop Connect- when you connect to the iPhone or iPad via wifi, this can be done from another device just as easy as it can be from a desktop. If I want to get a database from my iPad to my iPhone, I start Desktop connect on my ipad and then go to safari on my iphone and visit the address given. A special version of the web page is generated for the iOS viewing so that when you tap a database to download there, it will sync with your current device. The changes are applied and merged into a single result file within HanDBase and you can go about your work. It's not a two way process- just a download and sync/merge operation, but generally then I don't need it back on the other device. I just go the other direction when I need to later on after I've worked with it.

- Email - when you send a database via email to yourself, you have two upsides- a backup is basically stored in my email account so I have an extra copy around. The other upside is that you can open the email on any device and the database will be merged/synced right in. To me this is a less elegant solution from a design standpoint, but it's probably more practical, and honestly it's the way I use the most often.

Now to answer your question- indeed we are hard at work on a cloud syncing solution. This will be over and above what we currently offer so those that don't like syncing to the cloud won't have to! But for those who use multiple devices, this should be a great solution for transparent and automatic syncing over the internet. No release dates at this point, especially since we don't know what work is ahead with the new iPhone 5 presumably being announced tomorrow and a rumored iPad mini coming in October, but hoping to see it in a few months!
dhaupert

Postby tram57 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Greetings -- Has there been progress on the cloud synching idea. I have iphone5, ipad x2 (all with seperate licences) running HandBase and would welcome transparent synching.

Thanks, TB
tram57

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi TB,

There has been progress on the development side, but it is not complete yet. I hope to have a solution available in the coming months. The iOS version should be first to offer this but I am right now also working on an Android update (forms support) so I have to juggle both of these projects!

Stay tuned and you'll certainly see announcements when the time comes!
dhaupert

Postby leonsphinx » Tue May 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the updates. As of now, I am still using the sync conduit on my MacBook Pro to sync all Apple devices as I have been used to it already. Pls do keep me updated if anything new crops out. Thanks again
leonsphinx

Postby BMaskell » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Is the cloud sync discussed above available now?
I have a whole hotchpotch of HandBase files on my iPad, and my iPhone. I have no idea how to synchronize them.
You talk about emailing the files. When I try this it asks for text or CSV. IF I USE text, it just prints on the email. If I use CSV I get a excel style file that has no obvious resemblance to any HandBase files.
If I knew how to email the current files it would be helpful... But I don't see that as really a sync.....
I am sorry to be dense. But I am completely confused.

There is discussion above about Dropbox. But how do I set that up for HandBase. I have several apps that sync through Dropbox, and they seem to work rather straightforwardly.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.
Brian Madkell
BMaskell

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPad