How to take a photo and add it to a record

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

How to take a photo and add it to a record

Postby BillB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:14 am

Hi, using iPad 2 and latest version of HanDBase. I can't figure out how to take a photo and add it to a record, and can't seem to find specific instructions in the manuals.

I have created a Field called 'Photo', type 'External', external field type 'Camera' (Take picture), store image file name in Field 'Photo filename'

In the Forms view I add a new control type 'Picture', edit its Settings to Data Source = field 'Photo', Image file source = Field Value

When I return to database entry and open the form, there is nothing where the Photo field was placed.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. How do I set this up correctly and initiate the taking of a photo?

Thanks

Bill
BillB

Re: How to take a photo and add it to a record

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Bill,

You are so close! It sounds like you have the actual fields set up properly but not the form. I should definitely write a tutorial for this as it's not as obvious or straightforward as it could be. Here's the basic idea:

The Photo control on the form has to point to a file name, not an external field. So your picture control should point to the Photo Filename field and it will then display the image in that file name.

On the flip side, you will want a way to capture a photo from within the form. For that you'll need a button- create the button to have the data source of the external field and the button action to be the Follow Link/Linked/External action. Now you have a button that you can press to capture a picture and the results of that capture will be displayed in the picture control.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: How to take a photo and add it to a record

Postby ilungo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 pm

I am posting again as I am not sure if my original post was submitted. My apologies if it was and just delayed.

I am having the same issue as the original poster and created the file and form as he did. The photos would not appear unless I selected the Form photo "field". If I did that I would get a pop-up of the photo that i had previously selected. but it would close if selected anything else and I could not print the images.

I revised and I think that I have followed the steps you suggested but can not get this to work. I may be confused on the terms "Photo control" and Photo Filename Field" though. What I did was edit the Photo "icon" in forms to direct it to photo names (which is a text value) and replaced the caption source as Field Value. Instead of a blank image I now just get the text of the image file name.

Have you posted a tutorial on this? Do you have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Julian
ilungo

Return to HanDBase for iPad