Synching to Network Drive Location

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Synching to Network Drive Location

Postby jmathison » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I am trying to use the iPad Handbase application using network location for the PDB file. I have created the database and saved it to a network drive and installed the application on my Ipad. I update the PDB files with test entries and using my laptop synch to my iPad the entries are on my iPad - works great.

However when I add entries using my iPad and my laptop what happens is a different PDB file is updated. The file is actually in my C:\Users\name\Documents\HanDBase\nameiPad folder.

Where did the PDF file on my C drive come from? How do I get the updates from the iPad to go back to the PDB file on the network?
jmathison

Re: Synching to Network Drive Location

Postby dhaupert » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:16 am

Hi,

When you selected to install the database, it is now installed to the device and then syncs to the default location for the device (the folder you mentioned). When you have a network drive folder you want to sync on, you have to go about things a completely different way. Now that you have it on the device, here's the process:

Go to the Sync Devices screen and select your device
Choose Edit Sync Settings
Choose the Create a Shared database option.
Point to the location on your network drive for the PDB file.
Find the Shared databases in the proper list along the left and make sure 'all users' or at least your user is selected there.
Now they will sync to that location instead.

Just make sure to use File|Open|Browse to find the network location. Don't open the one in the users folder that was created previously!
dhaupert

Postby b3wh169 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:46 am

I'm trying to install from a different location also. I've been able to get it to work, with some difficulties along the way, using the steps above. Do I need to leave a copy in the default location of the database that I am trying to sync in a new location.

For instance, I am trying to sync a database called "Journal". I installed it, and after the first sync it was automatically installed into my "HanDbase" folder in My Documents folder. I used the "Create New Shared Database" option to set HDb to sync "Journal" to a new location, "MyDbs". Do I need to leave the copy of "Journals" that was previously automatically installed into the default "HanDbase" folder?
b3wh169

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi,

I recommend leaving the duplicate copy alone.

You will find, as long as you are using the shared syncing, that the conduit is writing to and reading from the database that is set up as the shared file.

If you run into any problems or questions, please let us know.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad