Where did my form go?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Where did my form go?

Postby VelvetLounger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:16 pm

I have just spent the last three hours building a form. I noticed that the allign bars were not showing up when I had field objects alligned. So I shut the app down. When I restart it my form is no where to be found. Any idea if I have a chance of recovering the last three hours of my life?

IOS 7.1
Handbase 4.9.03
Using HanDBase since I had my Palm 3.
VelvetLounger

Re: Where did my form go?

Postby VelvetLounger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:32 pm

AAAAAND it just happened again. I only put 10 minutes into it this time. I closed out properly then shut the app down. When I reopen it the form is gone.

Any ideas? this is really frustrating.
VelvetLounger

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post and sorry for your troubles. I do know if you shut down the app you won't likely see it save- the save on forms only happens when you exit the Edit Forms screen and not automatically like the databases themselves do. As for your second time around, I'm honestly not sure why. You can plug in your device and look in iTunes File Sharing section to see if any forms file exists for that database. If it does, you can send it to me along with the database and I can see what is stored there.

Otherwise I suggest making small incremental changes to make sure you have something saving in your case. For example, create a form and add a single control and verify that the file saves in that case. Once we are sure it is saving and not some weird database specific issue you can then more safely proceed with your forms design.
dhaupert

Postby VelvetLounger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for the followup David.

Ok. I just tried another test and there seems to be an issue with this table as it will not save any forms created within it while other tables are saving the forms I create.

I created a new form and left the default name of New Form. I dropped one object into it then saved it. Opened a form from another table. went back to the one I just created and it is still there. I then shut the app down and when I try to find that table it is gone again. I tried this proceedure on another table and the form did not dissapear. It seems the problem is with this specific table.

I did not run a synch with my computer while making the original form so I doubt there will be a form file that I can see in iTunes either. I can however send you a copy of the table that is causing the issue if that might help.

Thanks
VelvetLounger

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 am

Hi,

iTunes file sharing is not based on the sync- it connects directly to the device to show the files in the documents folder. You should definitely check and see if there is a file there with the tablename_HDF filename. And please do send the database so I can try on this end.
dhaupert

Postby VelvetLounger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 am

The computer with my iTunes is at home so I will try that later today.

For now what I did was copy the table to a new table, import the data. And this new table is saving the form normally. Do you want me to send the table with data? If so what email as I do not want to post the data to the forum.

Thanks!
VelvetLounger

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:52 am

VelvetLounger wrote:The computer with my iTunes is at home so I will try that later today.

For now what I did was copy the table to a new table, import the data. And this new table is saving the form normally. Do you want me to send the table with data? If so what email as I do not want to post the data to the forum.

Thanks!

You can send it to his dhaupert @ ddhsoftware . com address (minus spaces, obviously ;) )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby VelvetLounger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 am

ok table emailed directly from my HandBase.

Thanks
VelvetLounger

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:01 am

Hi there,

I have not received any email from you. Once again, my email address is listed in my sig below. Please try it again!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am

Got the email after all- was parsed by a filter! Sorry about that. I was able to duplicate the form not saving and figured out it was because of the / character in the database name. The forms file was created with the / in the name which is trying to put it into a different folder which of course does not exist. When I renamed the database to Router-Gateway Bad instead it worked fine thereafter. I'd suggest you give that a try and you should see a solution to your issue! Long term I will check for the / in the code and adjust as needed..
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPad