scripts for updating databases

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

scripts for updating databases

Postby marty2k23 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm

For many years in my previous life, I was a DBASE/CLIPPER developer. I just got an IPADAIR (my first Apple product) and searched the APP store for databases and came across HanDbase. I would like to purchase it for $9.99 but would like to know if it can do things like update a master file from a transaction file. Can scrips or programs be writte with this App? I don't need anything too fancy, but just want to know if this app is just a database to enter and retrieve things, or is it also a tool to automate updates.

Thank you,
Marty
marty2k23

Re: scripts for updating databases

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your post and interest. You will be disappointed that you won't likely find anything scriptable in this regard on the App Store. The App Store approval process limits how much scriptability and programmability a program can have as anything it does needs to be tested by the app store review team. So you don't see compilers and such in the app store for that reason.

HanDBase is not designed as a low level program but rather an easy to use front end to databases with all of the common operations and features easily accessible. That said, you can use the desktop and the export/import capabilities (also from the command line) to mass update databases and such via other software. You can try the desktop software free for 30 days so maybe that is your best bet before purchasing. Here's a link:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/demo.html

Choose HanDBase Professional or Enterprise for iPhone Add-on as they contain the most features and capabilities.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby marty2k23 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm

I appreciate your quick response and will check out the trial desktop version.
Is the functionality of the trial version the same as the app for the IPAD?

Thanks again,
Marty
marty2k23

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:50 am

Hi Marty,

Thanks for following up. The desktop functionality is essentially the same, except there is limited use of the external field type. All else is mostly the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad