Easy way to reset checklist?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Easy way to reset checklist?

Postby LarryR » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:24 am

I have a shopping list with two checkbox fields—"add to list" and "bought." Every possible thing I might want to purchase at the local grocery store has its own record. Before going shopping, I set the database to a view that displays the "add to list" checkbox but not the "bought" checkbox. I then check off the items I need to get. Then, when I reach the store, I switch to a second view with a filter that displays only the records where "add to list" is true. This is my shopping list. This view shows the "bought" checkbox but not the "add to list" field (no need, all "add to list" checkboxes in this view are checked by definition of the view). As I place each item in the cart, I check it off the list by checking the "bought" checkbox for that item.

Here is my problem. When I finish shopping, I need to reset the checklist for the next use by setting all "add to list" and "bought" checkboxes to Unchecked. It's easy enough for me to do it by simply clicking on column headers and using the "set values" tool to clear the checks.

My wife is not as computer-savvy, and clicking on column headers and resetting the checkboxes is beyond her comfort level. I'm wondering if there is any way to automate the process using a button or something that would reset both fields with a single click.

Any help would be appreciated. If I need some kind of add-on, please advise. Thanks!
LarryR

Re: Easy way to reset checklist?

Postby dhaupert » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:20 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Actually the Set Value To function is the 'easy way'! I added that when people requested a way to reset checklists as before you had to manually edit each row. Unfortunately there is not a way to add it to a button on a form or anything of that nature at this time. Maybe someday!
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Larry,

As Dave replied, the "Set Value To" function is the 'easy way' <sigh>.

Maybe there is more to your database than you mention in your post. But if not, then I might suggest you are making this too hard. I don't see the need for 'two' checkboxes, and that is what is causing the "reset" issue. If I were designing this, I would have only one checkbox which I would probably label "Buy". I then would define (at least) three Views: "All", "Not on list", and "Shopping List". "All" would view all records in the database, probably sorted in some way. "Not on list" would view the filtered records which did not have "Buy" checked, thus they are not (yet) on the shopping list. And "Shopping List" would view only the filtered records with "Buy" checked. On all three Views I would include the "Buy" checkbox.

I would use the "All" and the "Not on list" Views to aid in identifying what I wanted to add to the shopping list. For me each View would have its advantages. Finally, the "Shopping List" View is what I would use at the store.

Now as I place each item in the cart, I simply would uncheck the "Buy" checkbox for that item. Since the "Shopping List" View is filtered, that item now would disappear from the list. Most importantly, there is no need to reset anything. The "Buy" checkbox is now unchecked ready to be checked the next time I want to add it to the shopping list. And if I did not buy it on that trip, it is still checked and thus still on the list.

One added suggestion. Assuming I was not modifying records other than to check and uncheck the Buy box, I would find handy having a Date field in each record which was set to show the "Date Record Modified". Changing the checkbox would modify the record. Thus if the "Buy" box is unchecked, this date would show when last I bought this item. That might be useful in deciding whether to add the item to the shopping list. If the "Buy" box is checked, it would show how long ago I decided to add this item to the list, which might indicate some priority for the purchase. And with such a field I would probably define a "When bought" View, filtered for "Buy" unchecked and sorted descending by this date. I might even use that View in the store or when I got home, since all the items I unchecked today in the store should be at the top of that list. (I might even need this View in case I unchecked the wrong item and need to quickly find it to re-check it.)

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby LarryR » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Michael, these are some great ideas! Thanks.
LarryR

Postby mjhanna » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Glad you found them useful.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase for iPad