Chg Date Def to Use Curr Date Changes Existing Records

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Chg Date Def to Use Curr Date Changes Existing Records

Postby tmcmanus@fsci.ab.ca » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:47 pm

This looks like a bug to me. I changed the database properties for a date field from Ask for Date to Use Current date. (I decided it would save hitting Today each time I entered the field by defaulting to the current date.) The database I did this to had 430 records in it. When I returned to the record display, the data field in all 430 records had been changed to the current date. I would certainly not expect a change in the default date to set historical records to the default. If this is the expected behavior, then, at the very least, there should be a warning of the consequences if there are already records in the database.

I am using HandBase 4.9.03 on an iPad MD518C/A under iOS 7.1.1.
tmcmanus@fsci.ab.ca

Re: Chg Date Def to Use Curr Date Changes Existing Records

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:06 pm

tmcmanus@fsci.ab.ca wrote:This looks like a bug to me. I changed the database properties for a date field from Ask for Date to Use Current date. (I decided it would save hitting Today each time I entered the field by defaulting to the current date.) The database I did this to had 430 records in it. When I returned to the record display, the data field in all 430 records had been changed to the current date. I would certainly not expect a change in the default date to set historical records to the default. If this is the expected behavior, then, at the very least, there should be a warning of the consequences if there are already records in the database.

I am using HandBase 4.9.03 on an iPad MD518C/A under iOS 7.1.1.

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to read about the trouble you encountered.

What you are experiencing with the "current date" parameter is not actually a bug. It is by design. The "current date" parameter is useful if a calculation is based on a date, allowing a date to be calculated in reference to the current day.

Please note that there are three other options for the date field parameter that you may find more suitable. These include options to stamp the record with the date the file was created or edited, plus the ask user option, which you already referenced, where you can freely set the date value to any date of your choosing.

Hope this clarifies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad