Share a database

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Share a database

Postby Mando1493 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:34 am

Is there a way to share a DB and it's forms with others without also sending them my records that have already been created on my device? If I make any updates to the DB, how could that be sent to update their older versions of the DB? Could I create a duplicate DB under a different name, make any necessary changes and then change the name of the form back to the original DB name- I'm assuming it will replace the existing one, but will the data remain? Granting that the fields still match, unless they are removed or new ones added.
Mando1493

Re: Share a database

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:10 am

Hi there,

Good question! There is a function built in for this purpose- when you are in the choose database screen and press the + button you can create a new database using an existing template. At that point it will prompt you to select a database and will create a copy of this database with everything but the data in it. So you could do that whenever you need to create a copy. The only caveat is that it can't have the same name as the database you already are using so you will have to give it a new name.

If you later make changes to your original, you can perform the same exact process to create the copy again.

In either case when you have the copies made and ready to send, use the drop down ... at the right side of the new database and choose the email option to send it over to them!

Hope this helps.
dhaupert

Postby Mando1493 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:58 am

Ok Dave, Thanks for the response. Just to clarify though. If I send an updated DB with the same name, with either added fields or changes to the existing fields and form, they wont lose any data? Unless existing field(s) are removed? How would I keep a copy of the DB without any data in it to make future upgrades/changes to it? Is this something that could be done with a dektop version, if so which version? I have a mac, if that matters.

Mando
Mando1493

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am

Hi,

When you clone a database, the new database will have all of the field names, and the structure intact, but none of the records. The records will be safe in the old database. They will not be deleted.

You can keep both on the iPad, or send either or both as necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Mando1493 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm still not clear on how to save and send an updated DB with the same name if I can't save it using the same name. On my Ipad I have my working DB, which is also the one I make changes to the design and set-up. If I send it to another user, it
will also send all of my date along with it. All I want to send is changes to the DB itself. Is this something I could use my desktop for and not sync it. Keep no data in it so I can just make changes to the fields/forms as needed and then e-mail? Sorry for the confusion I'm still relatively new to all this.
Mando1493

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Mando,

Thanks for following up.

Please note that since you are using a Mac, it is recommended that you make changes to the structure directly on the iPad. If you want to make changes to the structure on your Mac, you would need to use the special WINE enabled version of HanDBase Desktop (a download should be available within your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html)

If you want to send a modified database, without records, to someone else, do the following:

1. Open the database selection drawer of HanDBase for iPad
2. Tap on the + button
3. When the popup of options appears, choose the option to create a new database based on one of the other databases
4. When the list of databases appears, choose the original database
5. When the new database opens, modify its name in the General section of Database Properties and then modify its structure

You can then send the modified database that has no records to another person.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Mando1493 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:23 pm

I don't have account information to download the Wine version? I bought my app for the apple store and never recieved an email with a username and password. What do I need to do?
Mando1493

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:36 am

Have you purchased a copy of HanDBase Plus for iOS/Mac from us? If yes, then you can download the WINE enabled version from your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html

If you have not already purchased HanDBase Plus for iOS/Mac, you would need to do that in order to have access to the WINE enabled version of HanDBase Desktop.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad