Records just vanished

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Records just vanished

Postby VelvetLounger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am

I have a database where I keep track of my jobs. Last week I entered three new jobs. Today I changed the text in the jobname field and now all three jobs are gone from the table. NOrmally I view the table with a filter for Active Jobs. When I remove all filters the records are still missing. Where did they go? Can I get them back? I've been using Handbase for years and never have never seen a bunch of records just dispensary.

Thanks
Using HanDBase since I had my Palm 3.
VelvetLounger

Re: Records just vanished

Postby VelvetLounger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:33 am

Shutting down the software and rebooting the device did nothing, but tapping the job name field and selecting Sort Ascending returned all the records to visibility.

Edit
I have just had another record disappear. I linked it to a record in another table and the parent record is no longer displaying and nothing I can do will bring it back. Also the app is crashing like crazy! was there an update recently. I really dont check when updating my ipad...

Thanks
VelvetLounger

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 am

Hi there,

Glad to read that the missing records returned after you sorted. This can happen in rare situations, and a re-sorting of the records will cause the fields to return to visibility.

Regarding the issue with the linked record disappearing, it was gone upon returning from the child database? Did it not return under any circumstance, such as sorting?

As for updates, none recently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby kbhom » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:00 am

I have seen similar behavior; edit a record and records disappear upon tapping save. If I switch to a different view, then switch back to the original view, the records come back. The record count stays the same (i.e. 30/30 in the view selector), so I know the records are still there.

Dave or Brian - I can reproduce the issue in the Password Keeper DB, but other DBs work fine, any ideas? Like corrupted DB?

Brian
kbhom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 pm

kbhom wrote:I have seen similar behavior; edit a record and records disappear upon tapping save. If I switch to a different view, then switch back to the original view, the records come back. The record count stays the same (i.e. 30/30 in the view selector), so I know the records are still there.

Dave or Brian - I can reproduce the issue in the Password Keeper DB, but other DBs work fine, any ideas? Like corrupted DB?

Brian

Hi there,

Thanks for confirming you are seeing this with the Password Keeper database.
I have a few questions for you to make sure I have everything set up properly so I can try to duplicate it more accurately here:

1. What fields does your initial / default view sort on, and are the sorts ascending or descending?

2. How is the sorting configured within the view that you switch to?

3. Do any of the views utilize filters?

Thanks in advance for sharing this information!

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby kbhom » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:
kbhom wrote:I have seen similar behavior; edit a record and records disappear upon tapping save. If I switch to a different view, then switch back to the original view, the records come back. The record count stays the same (i.e. 30/30 in the view selector), so I know the records are still there.

Brian

Hi there,

Thanks for confirming you are seeing this with the Password Keeper database.
I have a few questions for you to make sure I have everything set up properly so I can try to duplicate it more accurately here:

1. What fields does your initial / default view sort on, and are the sorts ascending or descending?

2. How is the sorting configured within the view that you switch to?

3. Do any of the views utilize filters?

Thanks in advance for sharing this information!

Answers

1 In the default view... no filters are enabled, ascending sort on Name field, and update view on changes

2 & 3 Two other views have filters enabled on Category field, and primary sort on Category, secondary sort on Name

When fields disappear they have similar names as the one that has been modified. For example... I have three iTunes entries. iTunes - xxx
iTunes - zzz
iTunes - aaa

I changed the first one to Apple - iTunes - xxx and it disappeared along with the other two iTunes entries. Switching back and forth between views, brings them all back appropriately sorted.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info. I'd be willing to show you via GoToMeeting, but being that this is my password DB, I'd have to set up some views to hide the passwords.

Brian
kbhom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up.

I am working on getting this reliably reproduced. Your information is helpful.

Regarding the offer for GoToMeeting, unfortunately I am on the road a lot over the next week so pinning down a specific time to meet would be difficult. If I don't have it narrowed down by a week from now, I'll definitely take you up on it!

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby VelvetLounger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:Hi there,

Glad to read that the missing records returned after you sorted. This can happen in rare situations, and a re-sorting of the records will cause the fields to return to visibility.

Regarding the issue with the linked record disappearing, it was gone upon returning from the child database? Did it not return under any circumstance, such as sorting?

As for updates, none recently.

Brian. I was not able to recover the parent record. Fortunately I had not linked too many other tables so I was able to recreate the record. This has happened in the past with other records and the records have eventualy returned. So I just marked this as a duplicate record just in case the original returns.

There is one filter on this table for the Active Jobs checkbox. I can not reliably reproduce this behavior, but I have noticed in happening in the past, I just did not mention it in the forum.

Thanks!
VelvetLounger

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:45 pm

@VelvetLounger,

Thanks for the additional information.

I'm working on trying to duplicate this.

I'll post more news as I have it.

Thanks for your patience!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad