Trying to duplicate a database

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Trying to duplicate a database

Postby sirlansa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:41 pm

I am attempting to create multiple databases on my iPad starting from an initial "template" with about 700 records.
I have created the first one and loaded it as a .pdb to my desktop using the desktop conduit (browser address and GUI screen on my Mac running Mountain Lion).
I then make a copy on the desktop using a different name and then try to send the copy to the iPad. This second database never shows up on the list of files on the left side of the GUI interface or in the list of DBs on the iPad.
I then email the file to myself from the desktop and open it in email on the iPad. When I try this it says the database is already present on the iPad (even tho' no database on the iPad has that name).
The result is I cannot duplicate any database on the iPad.

Any ideas, anyone?
sirlansa

Re: Trying to duplicate a database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 am

Hi there,

Thanks for posting.

This is a great question.

The reason for this requires me to delve into naming conventions a bit, so that the reason for the "problem" you encountered makes sense.

Regarding names within HanDBase, you will find that there is the traditional filename, such as MyGreatDatabase.pdb, that everyone is familiar with. This is what will be seen when viewing the file using a file manager.

Then the database itself has a name for the table that is set within it. This is managed via Database Properties, in the General section.
Now, as for your specific issue, each database in HanDBase has to have a different database name (the one set through Database Properties). In your situation, if you just copied the database on the desktop and renamed the file, installing it to the iPad would give you the results, even though they are not what you expect or want, that you encountered. The database name of the two files is going to be the same, so when HanDBase sees a new version of a database that already exists on the iPad incoming, it attempts to merge the set of records.

What you will need to do in addition to creating a copy of the database and changing the filename is to rename the database itself in Database Properties - General.

Now, since you are using a Mac, I need to caution that the native version of HanDBase Desktop for Mac does not support the editing of the database's properties at this time. So, what I recommend is to log in to your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html (assuming you purchased) and download the WINE version of HanDBase Desktop (you will need to scroll down a bit to see it).

After you install the WINE version, which is a custom version of HanDBase Desktop for Windows modified to run on a Mac, you will be able to open the database within the custom version. To make the change to the database name, once it is open within HanDBase Desktop, select the Configure menu, then select the Database Properties option. When a small dialog of options appears, click on General. There you will be able to modify the name of the database.

Be sure to save your changes and then install the database to your iPad.

Sorry for the longish explanation. Let me know if you have any questions.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: Trying to duplicate a database

Postby sirlansa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks. This is just the answer I was looking for. Didn't know about the double names.
I think it may be easier to just rename the "internal" name on the iPad before reloading the duplicate with the original "internal" name.
Thanks
sirlansa

Return to HanDBase for iPad