Broken Link

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Broken Link

Postby Mando1493 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 am

I am experiencing a problem I can't figure out why it happens or how to replicate it. But, when it happens it causes a big problem. I have created several databases that start with the Parent DB. Depending on which tab you select it jumps to that DB for the type of deployment form that I need to fill out. At this time there are 6 to choose from. The only data on the parent DB is a drop down list to choose the type of deployment and the date, which is filled automatically for the date the record is created. The problem I have experienced is that from time to time, from the list view screen the type of deployment changed from what I had to "No Value" and the date changes. When I change the deployment to what I had I lose the linked DB I had made. The DB I created is still in the other DB, but the connection from the main DB to the second no longer exists. I used links to connect the DB's. I tried using a password to make any changes, but that didn't help. I do keep a running count of deployments (prev +1) that shows in the parent and child DB that it links to. Should I use a relationship to point them to each other if data changes? If so, how and could I do that without losing the 40 records I already created?
Mando1493

Re: Broken Link

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing.

Sorry to read of the issue you have encountered.

Unfortunately I don't recall any issues of this nature prior to you reporting it. Will definitely keep an eye out for this in the future. If you do end up being able to replicate the issue reliably, or encounter it within a different set of databases, please do let me know.

What I encourage doing to help you account for the missing / garbled record is:

1. Add a text field to the database.
2. Upon adding the new record in the parent database, enter some unique identifier, such as Mando 1 for the first record you add, Mando 2 for the second record you add, and so on.

When you notice a record has changed values, check to see if the value in this text field has changed. If you notice that it has, search for all records showing "Mando" in this text field. Then check to see if the original record is still actually present within the database.

The reason I am asking you to do this is so that we can see if the record you need is somehow being obscured by a filter or if it is truly spontaneously changing.

Let me know what you find.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Mando1493 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Thank you for your response Brian. In regards to your suggestion, I believe I already have a unique number added to each new record in the "Deployment #". That number is generated in the parent DB and then also copied to the child DB. That record does in fact remain unchanged in the child DB. When i make the correction in the parent DB the link is lost. I have had some changes that have taken place within the child DB as shown in the below attachments.
image.jpg
image.jpg (169.63 KiB) Viewed 602 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (185.31 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Mando1493

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for the update.

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the databases and forms without any data in them along with a list of the steps you are taking? I would like to investigate this further.

If you can send a copy, here is how you generate a copy without records:

- In HanDBase for iPad, open the database selection drawer
- Tap the + button
- Choose the option to create a database based on one of the existing databases (template)
- When the new database is created, modify its name in Database Properties / General
- Repeat for the other databases

To send the files:

- Open the database selection drawer
- To the lower right of the name of one of the databases, tap the ... button
- Choose the email option
- If presented with a choice, choose to email as a PDB file
- If prompted to add a form, agree
- Address the outgoing emails to support@ddhsoftware.com and include a brief reminder of the issue and a description of how to reproduce

Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad