My designed forms keep disappearing!

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

My designed forms keep disappearing!

Postby Dianeotrl » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 pm

I have use this app for a few years now in order to keep track of student files. This year, as I start a new school year, I wanted to duplicate a previous database. While I got my new database, I noticed that my designed form did not also copy. So I've spent a lot of time redesigning a new form and when I feel I have a just right I noticed that the form disappears the next time I open it up. Another thing I noticed, is when I want to email the database, it no longer asks me if I also want to send the designed form with the data.

Your help in getting this resolved will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Dianeotrl

Re: My designed forms keep disappearing!

Postby dhaupert » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post and very sorry to hear of your trouble. Perhaps we can start from the beginning.. Can you tell me the steps you took to initially duplicate the database?
dhaupert

Postby Dianeotrl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 pm

I appreciate your help!
I pressed the + at the bottom left of the screen
chose existing template
I chose a database that I had previously used without difficulty.

I got my new database but noticed that my designed forms weren't there so I redesigned them... they worked for a little... then were gone.

I also noticed, when I email my database, it no longer asks me to also send my forms.
Dianeotrl

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 am

Hi,

Please try the following:

1. Enable WiFi on your iPad
2. Open HanDBase
3. Show the database selection drawer (tap the button in the upper left if the drawer is not visible)
4. Tap the Connect button (it resembles two rotating arrows)
5. Note the URL that is shown on the screen of the iPad
6. On your computer, open a web browser
7. Enter the URL shown on the screen of the iPad
8. When the screen refreshes, you should see a list of the databases on the iPad
9. Find the database you are working with in the list
10. To the right of the database name you should see icons, one of which might resemble two overlapping rectangles
11. Click on this icon and you should be prompted to download a form file

Assuming the file downloads, please send me a copy of that file and of the original database at support@ddhsoftware.com
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Dianeotrl » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Wouldn't you know it...there is NO forms file for the database I'm trying to work on! I DID design a form for that file but it kept deleting.
Dianeotrl

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. When you hover over the link to download the database file from within the browser, you should see a link with the file name at the end. Something like this: http://192.168.0.1/mydatabase.pdb

If you right click you should be able to copy that link. If you can do this , please copy it as a response here- trying to figure out if there is something within the database name or file name that is causing the problem.
dhaupert

Postby Dianeotrl » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

I don't feel comfortable sending the file since it has student names in it. I'm going to try redesigning a new database from a blank template that I have. Is there a way I can copy the data from a drop down list from one file and put it into a new file?
Dianeotrl

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 am

Hi,

I wasn't asking for the file, just the file name!
dhaupert

Postby Dianeotrl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Sorry....didn't get back to you. My misunderstanding...I thought you would have access to my file. I'm still experimenting here.
Dianeotrl

Postby Dianeotrl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:21 pm

I decided to create a brand-new database instead of copying from a previous one. I went through the normal motions and made the various fields… Only six fields… And then I designed a form. At first, my design form shows up as I had developed it and I was able to add a record to my database. The next time I try to open up the database, the program crashed and when I went back into the program my design form was gone. As I mentioned previously, I have relied on this app for the last couple years to keep track of student records. I never had these issues before.
Dianeotrl

Return to HanDBase for iPad