HanDBase Image Library backup

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

HanDBase Image Library backup

Postby Alanwestwood » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 am

Hi - anyone know how I can backup my HanDBase image library. I have a database with a large number of imported images (linked to other databases actually) which are held in the HanDBase library, but I feel a bit uncomfortable because I can't find a way of backing up the library.

I know that I have my iPad backed up (iCloud) so can recover from a disaster that way - but I would like to be able to delete HanDBase and reinstall it (should I ever need to) and still recover all my data. Thats easy for saved databases and forms of course - but what about the library?

Help appreciated :-)

Many thanks, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Re: HanDBase Image Library backup

Postby dhaupert » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your question. There are two ways to back this up.

One is to use the conduit which backs up all images automatically.

The other is to access desktop connect via the web browser and click to download the zip file for the images backup.

In either case you'll have all of your images. Unfortunately there is not yet an easy way to restore all of them- you have to install them one at a time through the web browser section. I am hoping to fix that in the future by supporting an image install via the conduit.
dhaupert

Postby Alanwestwood » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks, that helps a lot, I'll use the web browser to connect and download the zip file.

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby Alanwestwood » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:27 am

Well, further to my last post, backing up by downloading the handbase_images.zip file works a treat, no problems at all with that. I can see all my images using any of the usual image handling software, and if necessary import them back to my iPad, albeit one by one.

But I decided to buy the Windows desktop conduit, which seems a more convenient way to backup everything in one manoeuvre. But although I can see and edit my databases and forms fine (though I would never want to, I hate Windows!), and in a record I can see the associated image fine, I can't see any way to examine or manage the image library, let alone restore it back to my iPad. I must be missing something - how do I manage images and export or recover them from the Windows desktop?

Cheers, Alan.

PS when I setup the conduit, I was initially concerned not to see the iPad listed as a device, but it took only a second or two to realise that I needed to select iPhone/iPod Touch. Surely the options should specifically include iPad, or even just iOS devices.
Alanwestwood

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:24 am

Hi Alan,

The conduit indeed backs up all of the images- if memory serves they are located here:
My Documents\HanDBase\Images

That said, sadly there is not yet a way to restore images using the conduit- I attempted this several times but ran into issues so right now images can only be restored manually, either one at a time through Desktop Connect and the web interface or via a third party tool like iFunBox or iExplorer. Hope to one day soon resolve that, but at least there is a workaround..

re: not seeing the iPad listed as a device name, very sorry about that- I thought I had updated that a long time ago.
dhaupert

Postby Alanwestwood » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks, Dave, knew I was missing something. I found the local image store easily, once you prompted me. Thats fine, I can restore from there, if necessary, just as easily as the zip file - in both cases by just lifting the files by wifi from desktop to iPad using FileBrowser, thats simple :-) And I'm not overly bothered its one file at a time, just so long as it can be done at all I'm happy.

So now I can do a backup very simply indeed, for all my databases, forms, and images - thats exactly what I was hoping for. With any luck I won't need to restore from scratch, and if I do its not too much of a chore really (though I do have over 500 images).

Managing the image file in your iOS version is also very easy, now I'm familiar with it I find it simple to detect and remove unused images, and to keep the library tidy. So thats me sorted for now :-)

Many thanks, Dave. The iPad app is great, way above anything else I've found, especially with the forms add-on. I'll update my review after the iOS8 release - its already 5-star, but is a few months old now :-)

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Return to HanDBase for iPad