HanDBase hangs/crashes when using 'Search'

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

HanDBase hangs/crashes when using 'Search'

Postby Alanwestwood » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi guys, I thought I'd let you know about a bug, probably a memory issue I suspect that I see repeatedly and very reproducibly. Basically, in the List View, the App hangs or crashes (quits) when I have entered a search using the 'Search All Fields' box at the top right of the screen.

If I have a search entered (whether all fields, one field, match start, or match anywhere) and then switch to another database, on returning to the original database the crashes happens. It is not a problem with small databases. But, I have a database of all my cycling training since 1994 with route, athletic, and physiological data, and nearly 3000 records. There are several list views, forms, and links/relationships with other databases (equipment used and map screenshots showing the route). Its a fairly complex data structure, but works extremely well - except for these crashes.

The data is not confidential, and if it would help I can send you a copy to test with a procedure to make the crash occur (it never fails to crash).

Cheers, Alan.

PS I have already reported that when designing forms I also get crashes - after many design changes to a form (especially moving objects around), first the object position guidelines disappear, then after a few more design changes a crash will occur. The crash can be avoided and the guidelines restored by simply force-quitting HanDBase and restarting, something I now always do. That also looks like it might be a memory leak or similar.

PPS Both issues are manageable, but I think worth reporting.
Alanwestwood

Re: HanDBase hangs/crashes when using 'Search'

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for the details. I would love to test with a copy of the database you can duplicate this with- having a duplicatable bug is always much easier to solve!

re: the memory leak, I have built some large sets of forms without any issues like this happening, so it's got to be something specific to the types of controls or the steps you are taking. Maybe we can talk via email and try to figure out the missing link!

My email is in my sig below. Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby Alanwestwood » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Dave,

I sent you my databases, but actually I think this is to do with the speed (lack of) that HanDBase iOS searches all fields. Even if I just change the list view with a search on all fields selected (or change to another database and return), it can take an age for HanDBase to re-search in the new view and become responsive again. But if I change the search settings to One Field, I don't get any problems its very fast.

I suspect that my problem is that because the 'all field' search includes the fields in related databases and a large number of records, it is really very slow. I'm posting so that other users can see the work around if they need it - just set searches to one field.

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby Alanwestwood » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Update, in case anyone else reads this :-)

I think this issue was mine, or rather my iPad, and not HanDBase. I had some problems with Airdrop and also other apps crashing yesterday, so I did some database tidying, force quit all apps, and rebooted. Since then, I've had response times of just seconds and no crashes.

Thanks, Dave and Brian, for helpful advice!

Cheers, Alan.
Alanwestwood

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:15 am

Glad it is working better for you, Alan!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad