New user with questions

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

New user with questions

Postby Shadmaster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi, I am new to this DB program and have tried to figure out how to link one DB to another. (Maybe it's supposed to be relationship?). I run a fishing tournament. We have 1 to 4 people on each boat and most boats have different fishermen each tournament. I created a "weigh in" form which has the following fields: name, name, name, name, fish1 (float), fish 2 (float), total (calculated) and AOY Points (pop up (1-15)). What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a database where each name on each boat has their own field where the AOY Points they earn in a tournament gets credited to them.
I.e. Database 1 would have the name of everyone who has fished with us an the points they earned for each tourney:
Name Tourney 1 points Tourney 2 points Tourney 3 points Tourney 4 points first half points (calculated 1-4 points)
Tourney 5 points Tourney 6 points Tourney 7 points Tourney 8 points Second half points (calculated 5-8 points) total points (calculated 1st and second half points)

How do I set it up so that when I fill out the weigh in form, the points results for that tourney go to the DB? I have tried to play around and figure it out, but haven't gotten it right yet. Hope I wasn't too long winded.
Shadmaster

Re: New user with questions

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Here's something to consider - is the relational aspect necessary? What if a popup with list of names was added to the database and form so that each person could select their name when entering their catch information? Then what if custom views with filters set to show records for only individual persons at a time was configured so when you wanted to calculate totals for a person or quickly look up their information you applied a view and could see the relevant records?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Shadmaster » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:49 am

Again, I'm new to this. The instruction manual is light on the specifics of how all of the fields and whatnot, work. I will try what you suggested and see if that works.
Shadmaster

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:11 am

Let me know if you need any samples or step-by-steps. Will be happy to send your way if needed.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad