iPad Issue with Opening Databases Emailed to iPad

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

iPad Issue with Opening Databases Emailed to iPad

Postby lakey » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi,

We are having an issue with the iPad version of HanDBase opening files that have been emailed to the iPad. We have three files in a single email that we want to install. The databases already exist on the iPad and each has a form file associated with it. The first one we open will install correctly. But following that when we tap the attachment in the email and then tap "Open in HanDBase" HanDBase opens but there is no option to merge or overwrite the existing database and the data does not get into HanDBase. This happens with both ios7 and ios8. I did determine that if I power off the iPad and then power it back on, I can then import another file. To get the third file in I had to power off and reboot again. The same behavior occurs with forms files as well. It requires a reboot between each file. We don't believe asking users to reboot the iPad between each file is an acceptable practice. I can send files if you need them.

Thank you.

Larry
lakey

Re: iPad Issue with Opening Databases Emailed to iPad

Postby dhaupert » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:24 am

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about the trouble you're seeing. Is there a chance you could send me a copy of the email so I can try the exact procedure with the same databases? If they are sensitive/private data, just let me know and I'll try to make something happen like this with some random databases. But always better to try the exact setup when possible!
dhaupert

Postby lakey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I have done some more work on this issue and have found a way around the problem. I'm not sure if you have documented this somewhere, or if it is a "feature" of HanDBase that I have discovered.

I'll describe to you how I am getting the results I need and then let you determine if it was something I missed in the HanDBase documentation or if it is something that you weren't aware of that can be remedied or if it is something that needs to be documented.

Here is the behavior observed.

We are using HanDBase as a data collector to capture data about cows while they are on a dairy. We then use the data captured to update a PC application that has additional information about each cow. The flow of information is from the PC application to HanDBase (Herds records and Cows records). Records are updated in HanDBase and then transferred back to the PC where they update the PC application. Three files are involved. Cows, Herds and CullCows. CullCows is always empty going to HanDBase and may or may not have data goinig in the other direction.

We initially were using the iPad/Desktop sync tool to move the databases back and forth but found that 1) that proved a little too difficult for some of our users; and 2) some farms where we operate do not have wireless access, so that presented a real roadblock. The developed solution was to email the files back and forth. (And for those situations where there is no email, we have an Android solution that uses an SD Micro card and a USB/SS Micro card adapter to transfer the files.)

Our issue was with the 2nd and subsequent attachments to the email to the tablet. We would tap the attachment then select the "Open in HanDBase" option, but the transfer of data would not take place. With experimentation we found that if we closed HanDBase between each transfer attempt, we could get the 2nd and 3rd files to transfer. So we have trained our users to close HanDBase by tapping the Home button on the iPad twice, swiping the HanDBase app off the top of the screen - which closes HanDBase - and then proceeding with the next attachment. Not as handy as I had hoped, but it is working.

The outstanding question is "Can you change the app so it can handle multiple opens of email attachments without closing HanDBase between each open?" If not, can this be added somewhere in the documentation so that others can use the technique we discovered as a workaround.

Thanks,

Larry
lakey

Postby dhaupert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 am

Hi again,

I will definitely check and fix this if it's an issue. Plan on working on it over the next week so I'll let you know if I find a bug!

Thanks for the detailed information.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPad