Freeze on Export of CSV to Numbers or anything else

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Freeze on Export of CSV to Numbers or anything else

Postby sirlansa » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 pm

I have appreciated and used reliably the ability to use my iPad as an input device, using Handbase forms and then export records to Numbers (in the cloud), which makes the data available to all my IOS and iMac devices. This has appeared as an intermittent problem on more than one version of IOS. Right now I am running IOS 8.1.2 on the iPad and Numbers 2.5.1 (1715) which is the latest I can go to since my Macs aren't on Yosemite yet (currently running OSX 10.9.5). Upgrading Numbers would force me to use the iCloud Drive which is not Mavericks-compatible. I did see this phenomenon some months ago, but upgraded from IOS 7 and it went away, so never submitted a forum post.

Any ideas? When it happens, I've tried rebooting the iPad and trying the import with the Numbers app both open and closed, to no avail. At the same time I cannot export to Dropbox, Email, or any other of the suggested apps. Then with no apparent reason, it starts working again!

Thanks Dave for any insights you may have. I'd like to be able to count on doing these exports, since they are often time-sensitive!
sirlansa

Re: Freeze on Export of CSV to Numbers or anything else

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Does the issue occur with one or multiple databases?

At what point in the process does the export appear to freeze?

Do any error messages ever appear onscreen?

Does any of the data appear in the spreadsheet or does any of the exported data fail to ever get into the spreadsheet?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby sirlansa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Brian,
In answer to your questions......
Q1. Does the issue occur with one or multiple databases?
So far this is happening with only two databases.
Q2. At what point in the process does the export appear to freeze?
The process stops when the icons for Numbers, Dropbox, Email come up. Touching any of them produces nothing.
Q3. Do any error messages ever appear onscreen?
No
Q4. Does any of the data appear in the spreadsheet or does any of the exported data fail to ever get into the spreadsheet?
Nothing ever arrives in Numbers. It doesn't open up and show the spreadsheet "loading". If I open Numbers manually, there is nothing new there.

Thanks,
sirlansa
sirlansa

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi,

So far I've been unable to duplicate the issue but am going to continue to investigate. Assuming we can get the problem duplicated we will get a fix in the next update.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby sirlansa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:37 am

This issue still persists intermittently. It seems to help to switch to a different database and try the Export there, then switch back to the one in question and try it. It often then works! So I'm guessing the problem is database dependent.
sirlansa

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Any chance you can send me a copy of the databases you run into problems with? If so, send them to me at support@ddhsoftware.com with a brief reminder of what to check for.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby sirlansa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Information in database is proprietary. I'll try to create a sanitized version that fails like the original and send it.
Thanks
sirlansa

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:30 am

Completely understand. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad