Adding Pictures Crashes App

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Adding Pictures Crashes App

Postby doubledd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am

I created a custom database with a picture field and custom form.

Frequently when I attempt to add a photo to the database, the entire app crashes and I have to restart the entry. When I restart and make a second attempt to add the photo, it works successfully.

I am using an iPad Air (original) with the latest iOS (8.1.3) and my version of HanDBase is 4.9.063.

Is there any suggestion as to why adding photos frequently (but not always) crash the app? Once the photo is added, I can look up the database entry and see the photo. I know it is added.

Thanks.

Dennis
doubledd

Re: Adding Pictures Crashes App

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:36 am

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for posting.

I am suspicious that you might be encountering an out of memory problem. How big is the photo you are adding, both in pixels and megabytes? Also, are you adding a photo file or taking a picture via the camera interface?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby doubledd » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:02 am

Hello Brian:

I am adding photos that I have loaded to my iPad. I can view the pictures normally but it is only when I try to add them to the database when it crashes.

My photos range from:

3.1 Megapixels (1.7MB) to 16 Megapixels (6MB)

All of my photos for the database are being added from one "album" which has over 100 pictures in it.

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Dennis
doubledd

Postby dhaupert » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to post an update on this- did some debugging of this issue and discovered that in iOS8, a memory leak was happening in some cases when you select an image. Selecting the small size image preference is a quick fix that will reduce or eliminate your crashing as the memory size goes way down, but a more permanent solution is coming. This will be part of the next bug fix update which I hope to submit in the next few weeks.

Very sorry for the inconvenience.
dhaupert

Postby doubledd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:42 am

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Just wanted to post an update on this- did some debugging of this issue and discovered that in iOS8, a memory leak was happening in some cases when you select an image. Selecting the small size image preference is a quick fix that will reduce or eliminate your crashing as the memory size goes way down, but a more permanent solution is coming. This will be part of the next bug fix update which I hope to submit in the next few weeks.

Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the update, Mr. Haupert! I look forward to the fix.
doubledd

Return to HanDBase for iPad