Differences between iOS version and Windows version

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Differences between iOS version and Windows version

Postby fsbof » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:03 am

Hi,

I have a database that has a count field. The count increases for every new record of a particular type.

I have a second database that has a relationship field hat matches against date and returns the above count field.

On iOS devices, it seems to filter by date, recalculate the count field for only the records in the filter and return the result.

On the Windows version, it seems to filter by date but not recalculate the count field.

Thoughts?
fsbof

Re: Differences between iOS version and Windows version

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:20 am

For your count field, what are you using? ... a calculated field that adds 1 to itself? ... a unique field?
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby fsbof » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 pm

I have a field called CountEq1 that has a default value of a 1.

I have a second field called RecordCount which is a calc field with a formula 'Prev RecordCount + CountEq1'

On iOS devices this seems to update depending on the view and filter. It also seems to update when you use a relationship field to look up the last record.

I'm never quite sure with a relationship field, what view it uses or even if it uses a view at all and how the records are sorted, which can obviously affect which is the last record. I know sometimes changing the sorting of a view affects my results but I'm not exactly clear when it works. For example I have had someone used my db who reverse sorted the records and got all the wrong results. This seems to be a bit problematic if you design a db that uses a view and then the view gets changed.

I guess my questions are; Is it a specific view, i.e. the one called default view or is it the last view opened?

Is there a way to control this.
fsbof

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:44 am

The relationship shows fields in the child database independent of the views used in the file. It will show all records that share the same field value, assuming it is the field you configured as the basis of said relationship.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby fsbof » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:27 am

Hmmm, Ok, but I don't understand fully.

The relationship field allows you choose the first or last record, which implies sorting the records. Changing the sorting of a view seems to affect which record displays...
fsbof

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 am

Yes, sorting will affect the value of the "first" and "last" options. I was referring to the related fields in general. Sorry for the confusion.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad