Slider for Field Width

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Slider for Field Width

Postby fsbof » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:46 am

Not sure if it is just me, but on iPad1, iPad2, iPad Air, iPhone4S, iPhone5 and iPhone 6 I have had trouble with the slider for setting the field display width in views. I find it hard to grab, often requiring several touchs before I get it, then I find it hard to set to a particular number. Personally I would prefer a digit entry here or at least an easy way to set to zero.

Also can anyone explain to me how these work, because they don't seem to really be percentages...
fsbof

Re: Slider for Field Width

Postby glenwf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:45 pm

I would also like a number in addition to the slider. I can usually get it close to what I want, but to get it right takes many tries and I often never get there.

iPod Touch 5 user.
glenwf

Postby mjhanna » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:44 pm

I have the same issue with my Android, but found a workaround. The PC version of HanDBase lets you enter a number for the Pixels for the width of a Field in a View. Edit Database Properties, edit Fields, Select a Field to edit, and you can enter a numeric value in "Pixels Shown in List View". I don't have any Apple devices so don't know if the Mac version has this capability, but by setting this number on the PC and syncing the database back to the Android device I get the width I want. Might be worth looking for something similar in your Apple world.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby uboche » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:32 pm

I second this motion. ;)
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 am

Thanks for all of your input. Will definitely consider a solution for this- found and used a slider library on another project that is much more precise and will work on switching to this.
dhaupert

Postby fsbof » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Or the little rollers like they use for date and time....

Dave can you explain the whole percentage thing too. How does this work with different platforms, with the database list open or shut (on an iPad) etc etc.
fsbof

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am

Hi,

Good question- the actual original HanDBase database structure stores the number of pixels on the screen that will be used. This was never something people had an easy time with on other platforms so for iPhone I presented the concept of a percentage of the width of the screen. Unfortunately that didn't work out well as when you shifted to landscape you didn't get to see more fields, just wider versions of the same fields. So I modified the concept to be the percentage of the screen in Portrait view. Thus 100% would fill the view in portrait but in landscape it would only use up a portion of the screen allowing for other fields to be shown.

So here's where things get tricky:
When the iPad came out it was basically a bigger screen, not a denser a screen, so I played around with the values and decided that most databases looked best not scaling to 100% of the portrait view on the iPad. So I kept the same metric- 100% was full width of an iPhone screen in portrait and thus just a portion of the screen on the iPad. Confusing isn't it? But it makes for the best looking databases between both platforms from my testing.

Hope this helps explain it.
dhaupert

Postby jfh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 pm

fsbof wrote:Not sure if it is just me, but on iPad1, iPad2, iPad Air, iPhone4S, iPhone5 and iPhone 6 I have had trouble with the slider for setting the field display width in views. I find it hard to grab, often requiring several touchs before I get it, then I find it hard to set to a particular number. Personally I would prefer a digit entry here or at least an easy way to set to zero.

Also can anyone explain to me how these work, because they don't seem to really be percentages...

The slider is maddeningly frustrating on an iPad Air. ANYTHING has got to be better than the current implementation. A type in field would be so much better than a slider - sometimes it won't grab at all and most of the time when it does, it's impossible to settle on the value you want.

of course, setting field widths on views drives me crazy anyway - they never seem to stick. Seems I have to redo every field in every view after I make any change to a field.
jfh

Return to HanDBase for iPad