Updating a whole database

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Updating a whole database

Postby mcalex » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Maybe I've just missed it, but I don't see anything in the documentation or on the forum about this. Perhaps someone could help.

I have one relatively large database that I, every once in a while, need to update with an external program. The update goes rather well. I use Desktop Connect to transfer the database to the processing computer in csv format, which the external program handles nicely.

The result is an updated database I now need to substitute for the original one.

However, I haven't found any good way to do this. If I use the Desktop Connect --> Update CSV Data function, my only option appears to be to "Add CSV Data". When I do that the Data are, indeed, "added" – that is, the updated records are simply inserted at the end of the existing database – doubling the length of the database ... totally useless.

There is also the possibility of deleting the existing database (or simply renaming it), and uploading the data like a new database. However, if I do that, the "new" database doesn't have the views that were set up for the original ... also useless.

Any ideas about how I can accomplish what I need? Is there some way to transfer a view from one database to another, similar one?
Stratton McAllister
73357.3046@compuserve.com
mcalex

Re: Updating a whole database

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 am

Hi there,

Very sorry for the delayed reply- your post was lost in moderation for far too long.

There are quite a few ways to update a database and it depends on whether you're using HanDBase alone on the device, using the desktop version of the app, and using the conduit for the app as well.

Here's an overview for each:

HanDBase on the iPad alone- the import from CSV does always add records to the end. So if you want to replace, you'd first have to delete all records in that database and then do the import. You may also consider using the Create using Template option- where you create a new database with the views and structure in place from another database but with an empty data set. Then importing into that one. Seems safer than wiping out the existing database!

Using the desktop version of the app- you could do the import from a CSV here with the option to replace the existing data records. Quite a bit simpler and more powerful when you have the dialog with the import options available to you.

Using the conduit- when you use the desktop to make the change you can just choose 'install to Smartphone/Device' and select your iPad from the list of devices. On the next sync, that database will overwrite the one on the device (after backing it up of course).

Let me know what your set up is and if you have any further questions!
dhaupert

Postby mcalex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 am

Dave,

Thanks for your response to my problem about "Updating a whole database". This was back in July and I apologize for being so long replying. At the time, I had already made the database update I was referring to (albeit, the hard way). So I set the information you supplied aside to follow the next time I needed to make such an update.

Well that time has come and I'm trying to apply what you wrote.

I use my database on only the iPad and iPhone. I tried to use the OS X version for a while but couldn't make it work for me at the time. Since I didn't need the information on the Mac, I abandoned the effort.

For this type of setup you say

---------------------------------------------------------------

HanDBase on the iPad alone- the import from CSV does always add records to the end. So if you want to replace, you'd first have to delete all records in that database and then do the import. You may also consider using the Create using Template option- where you create a new database with the views and structure in place from another database but with an empty data set. Then importing into that one. Seems safer than wiping out the existing database!

---------------------------------------------------------------

First off, how do I "delete all records in that database"? I see no way to find out from the program how many records there are, but I know there are tens of thousands. And I can't find any description of how to delete multiple records at a time. I hope I'm not expected to delete the records one at a time.

You also suggest using the "Create using Template". But when I try to create the database, I am presented with only the templates that come with the system – and, strangely enough, there's not one for my database. So it would seem I must create my own template – but I don't see anything in the documentation, the FAQs, or any of these forums about how I might do that – or how to use some existing database AS the template.

Of course, all of this would be much less necessary if it were possible to set column widths reasonably. As many here have pointed out, the sliders are very badly implemented: They're VERY difficult to set to a given value; They're unstable during setting. Why in the WORLD don't we yet have the ability merely to set the width as a number entered from the keyboard? It doesn't make any sense.

Stratton McAllister
mcalex

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Stratton,

Thanks for following up.

To delete all of the records in a database, follow the steps below:

1. Open HanDBase for iPad
2. Find the database you wish to open in the drawer at the left
3. Tap on the database to open it in list view
4. While viewing the list of records, tap the button in the lower right
5. Choose the Delete Records option that appears on the menu
6. When prompted, choose the option to delete records inside the filter range, outside the filter range or all

Be certain you want to delete the records. You will not be able to undo this action.

When you create a template, using the steps below, it is essentially cloning a current database without copying the records. It is a safe way to duplicate the database if you don't want to worry about deleting data you may need at some point.

Here are the steps:

1. Open HanDBase for iPad
2. Open the database selection drawer
3. Tap the + button in the lower corner of the drawer to create a new database
4. From the popup that appears choose the option to create a template
5. Then choose the database you wish to clone

As for the ability to precisely set the column width, this feature is on our request list for future consideration.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mcalex » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Thank you for the informative response.

As for deleting multiple records, I thought filters might have something to do with it, but I wasn't sure how Although my database is perhaps rather large, it is really just a simple, multi-field list from which I need to be able to select records for viewing. There's no field processing; all fields fit in a single line on the screen; andå no need for filtering. So I've not had a reason to use filters. As a result I really don't know much about it. I'll be looking into it now, of course.

With respect to templates, when I follow your instructions, after Step 3 the popup I get says

Create a New Database
Download Template...
Existing Template...
From Scratch...

Nothing about 'create a template', which I had expected. This is as far as I got before, and is largely the reason for my original question.

However, playing around a bit, I see that the 'Existing Template...' item does just about what I was looking for. I did not expect my database to appear in a list of templates. I had not had the impression that a template was just another database. I had thought it had to be generated in some way.

Anyway, I think I can now see what I need to do.

Many thanks.

Stratton McAllister
mcalex

Postby dhaupert » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:07 am

Hi there,

Indeed 'existing template' is the wording of the option Brian was referring to- on a different platform it is named as he described. Sorry for the confusion, I have struggled to figure out how to word that option and fit it into the limited space of the menu- guess I need to keep thinking about the best wording for it!
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:34 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Indeed 'existing template' is the wording of the option Brian was referring to- on a different platform it is named as he described. Sorry for the confusion, I have struggled to figure out how to word that option and fit it into the limited space of the menu- guess I need to keep thinking about the best wording for it!

How about "From Existing DB" or "From Existing Database"
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:00 pm

curtterp wrote:
dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

How about "From Existing DB" or "From Existing Database"

"From Existing Database" would probably be the better choice.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPad