Multi-select fields

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Multi-select fields

Postby thangtamfive » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Hello, how do I create multi-select fields? For example, I'm categorizing sheet music, and I'd like to indicate the various key signatures in a given piece, which can have multiple key signatures (C, Cb, D, Db, etc.). I see you can use append in a pop-up, but that won't help me, because if I categorize a piece as having C and Cb, it shows up as "CCb" and any filter or view based on the key of "C" will inadvertently trigger something tagged with only "Cb". I see I can create single checkbox fields, but if I want to create a field that has 20 or 30 checkboxes, the only way to do so appears to be to create a field for each checkbox. HanDBase seems pretty thoroughly thought out, but this seems like a huge omission. I'm probably doing something wrong. Thoughts?
thangtamfive

Re: Multi-select fields

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post. You are correct that there is no multi-select field in HanDBase. Years back (I think it was for HanDBase 3) I did attempt to implement one and wasn't happy with the implementation and it got scrapped. Never did go back and reconsider a better way to do it because the auto append seems to meet 99% of people's needs for this. If you put a comma after each item in the list it will help you with the concatenation problems you see. So if the popup list has

C,
C#,
D,
Eb,
E,
F,
F#,

then when you select multiples (eg, C,C#,) you can filter on it by filtering for C, or C#, and should get perfect hits.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Multi-select fields

Postby ken.w » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Another thought that might look nicer if there’s only one key is to follow each one in the list with a space, so “C “, “C# “, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ken.w

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch