Not same user? Crashes

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Not same user? Crashes

Postby glenwf » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:37 pm

I got a new iPhone a while ago but I think this is the first time I've created a new database since then. Now I see that the author of the new database is a "New User" which is stated in the properties "Author Information" which is "Glen's iPhone (2). Previous phone created databases as "Glen's iPhone", or various names depending on the age and the platform.

Now when I sync my HanDBase for iPhone ver 4.9.079 to my Mac desktop HanDBase Version 4.6.0.2, the Sync crashes when it encounters the Database I recently created. See the log below starting with the comparison of a DB that didn't need updating.
10-04-2020 11:19: File not Changed: @Rain...
10-04-2020 11:19: Database: Lindgren Traps Sync Mode: Synchronize
10-04-2020 11:19: Synchronizing Database: Lindgren Traps...
10-04-2020 11:19: Getting iPhone Database To Sync with Desktop: Lindgren Traps...
10-04-2020 11:19: Getting iPhone Database To Sync with Desktop: Lindgren Traps...OK
10-04-2020 11:19: Syncing with Desktop Database: Lindgren Traps...
10-04-2020 11:19: Syncing with Desktop Database: Lindgren Traps...WARNING: Databases were not created by the same user. Keeping newer one and other is backed up.
10-04-2020 11:19: Saving Changes to iPhone: Lindgren Traps...
10-04-2020 11:19: Sending /Users/glenforister/Documents/HanDBase/Glens iPhone 2/Lindgren_Traps.PDB to iPhone..
10-04-2020 11:19: Could not get Upload Database to iPhone. Either the iPhone is not running desktop connect, it's not running on the same wifi network as this computer, or the iPhone's address was not valid.

How can I resolve this issue to prevent the Sync from crashing? I've tried copying the database (create new one, copy records over to new one, delete old one), but that obviously doesn't change name of the USER and it still crashes the Sync.
glenwf

Re: Not same user? Crashes

Postby curtterp » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:33 pm

I think that you are running into an issue with the new phone trying to run on the partnership of the old phone. This comes from the fact that you have a Glens iPhone (2) listed.

Side Note - Personally, when I get a new phone, I always change the name of the new phone to include the model of the phone. To change the name of the phone, go to Settings->General->About and the press on the phone name. I do this so I can keep the different phones separate with iCloud backups and such things like that.

I would suggest trying the following. I would also backup all databases located in the Documents->HanDBase->Current partnership folder by copying the databases to another folder outside of the HanDBase folder

• Rename your new phone to something a little different
  • Create a new partnership with the phone. You will get a sync during the process
  • Check to make sure that there are no errors in the sync log

Hopefully you will not get any errors. If you have errros with any databases, then perform the next steps

• Delete the new partnership that you just created. Also delete the folder for that partnership in Documents->HanDBase
  • Delete HanDBase from your iPhone
  • Install HanDBase from the App Store on your iPhone
  • Create a new partnership in HanDBase
  • Check to make sure that there are no errors in the sync log
  • Copy all the databases from the backup location that you created, or the other partnership that you had previously
  • Do another sync. If the sync asks to install the databases that are not on your device, select yes.
  • Check the sync log to make sure that everything is working correctly

Hopefully this will correct your errors.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby glenwf » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks Curt. Great idea. Done - success.

Great way to clean up also.
glenwf

Postby curtterp » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Glad that you got your issues fixed. I recently had to go through the steps because I had an issue with my iPhone was only syncing the databases that come with HanDBase, all my other databases wound up in the backup folder. :D
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch