A few questions

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

A few questions

Postby jmiked » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:22 pm

I have installed the app on my iPod Touch (HanDBase for iPhone) and my Mac laptop (HanDBase for iPhone Plus) . I've bought both within the last month, so I have the latest versions.

I had expected to be able to edit data on both apps and then sync them, but I don't seem to be able to get the databases on the iPod to transfer to the Mac. I've tried various options in the sync preferences, but the HanDBase folder in my Documents folder remains completely empty, although HanDBase on the iPod assumes me that a sync has taken place.

I've read the manual and it seems to focus on getting databases from the Mac to the iPod, and doesn't seem to address this issue.

Anybody have any suggestions? Have I misunderstood what these apps do?

Another question is how do I scroll to the last entry of a database? I have one with 4,000+ entries and I want to go to the last chronological entry, but it takes 10 minutes of brushing my finger up the screen to scroll there. Any way to do this faster?

Mike
jmiked

Re: A few questions

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 am

jmiked wrote:I have installed the app on my iPod Touch (HanDBase for iPhone) and my Mac laptop (HanDBase for iPhone Plus) . I've bought both within the last month, so I have the latest versions.

I had expected to be able to edit data on both apps and then sync them, but I don't seem to be able to get the databases on the iPod to transfer to the Mac. I've tried various options in the sync preferences, but the HanDBase folder in my Documents folder remains completely empty, although HanDBase on the iPod assumes me that a sync has taken place.

I've read the manual and it seems to focus on getting databases from the Mac to the iPod, and doesn't seem to address this issue.

Anybody have any suggestions? Have I misunderstood what these apps do?

Not at all, it's designed to do just what you are referring to. I'm thinking that perhaps you are reading the HanDBase User Guide which does discuss in great detail how to get databases to the iPod. The HanDBase Conduit is 'manualled' in the Help menu section of the Mac HanDBase Desktop. In there it goes over the exact steps needed to set up a first sync.

There is also a quicktime video on our site overviewing the steps to set up a sync. Here's the page it's embedded in:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_macplus.html

If you are still having trouble, perhaps you can provide some more detail of where things are going right or wrong? You can take a look at the sync log for perhaps some further guidance, or even post it here.

Another question is how do I scroll to the last entry of a database? I have one with 4,000+ entries and I want to go to the last chronological entry, but it takes 10 minutes of brushing my finger up the screen to scroll there. Any way to do this faster?

Mike

This is a great question- one we get more and more these days. I am adding the indexed search bar to an upcoming version of HanDBase. That will make scrolling much faster. This said, using the current implementation with a large database that takes too long to scroll can be cumbersome unless you have the quick search field selected. That's done in the DB Properties section under 'Change Field Order'. Once this is selected, a search box appears at the top of the list view for that table, and you can use that to more easily find the records you are looking for.

But the short answer is that there is no single swipe to get to the bottom of the list. Getting to the top of the list requires tapping on the time in the top of the screen, but there is no equivalent for getting to the bottom currently.
dhaupert

Re: A few questions

Postby jmiked » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:14 pm

I got the sync problems cured. I just erased everything from everywhere and started over. I think the main problem was that the database of books somehow got classified as a shared database. In any event, when I made it not a shared database, everything straightened out and is now working satisfactorily.

I'd still like to be able to zoom to the end of the data, though. I can set the database properties to open at the last record, but that only helps if I want to do that first thing.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
jmiked

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch