Popup Fields do not remain re-ordered

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Popup Fields do not remain re-ordered

Postby MMS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 pm

The Pop-up fields can be re-ordered either by edited and moving them around or by hitting the alphabetize button on the lower right hand corner. Since iPhone 3.0, hitting the alphabetize button causes the program to close entirely! I can move the fields manually but they go back to the order they were after reopening HanDBase on my iPhone. I am using a new 32GB iPhone 3GS, btw. I had a similar problem on my 3G phone running iPhone 2.2 but the alphabetize button did not cause the program to close.
It would be nice if the alphabetize recognized numbers for their value and ordered them accordingly, btw.

Thanks! Otherwise a great incredibly useful product that beats Bento by a mile but you guys got to add some pretty colors and get with the Apple aesthetics!

Michael
MMS

Re: Popup Fields do not remain re-ordered

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 am

MMS wrote:The Pop-up fields can be re-ordered either by edited and moving them around or by hitting the alphabetize button on the lower right hand corner. Since iPhone 3.0, hitting the alphabetize button causes the program to close entirely! I can move the fields manually but they go back to the order they were after reopening HanDBase on my iPhone. I am using a new 32GB iPhone 3GS, btw. I had a similar problem on my 3G phone running iPhone 2.2 but the alphabetize button did not cause the program to close.
It would be nice if the alphabetize recognized numbers for their value and ordered them accordingly, btw.

Thanks for the feedback- you're absolutely right, it seems that the resort button in iPhone 3.0 is broken. Hadn't heard or seen this before your posting, so thanks for the find! I will certainly address in the next update. BTW, the resorting seems to work if you go in from the Field properties, as opposed to while editing a record. At least it did for me.

Thanks! Otherwise a great incredibly useful product that beats Bento by a mile but you guys got to add some pretty colors and get with the Apple aesthetics!

Michael

We tried to best match the built in apps like contacts and calendar in terms of color scheme. Are you suggesting a new color scheme to differentiate, or just change the overall look?
dhaupert

Postby MMS » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when I reorder the popups by going in via Database Properties-Fields and re-order the popups, the new order remains only until I perform a synch and then it all reverts back to the pre-ordered state!

I am fine with the program colors as long as the program functions as you have intended it to do. But I think making a lot more use of graphics and colors will make it a lot more marketable to the Apple crowd who are more used to that sort of thing. Handbase is so much better than Bento it is not even close, but Bento has the nice graphics and packaging that might draw sales. It is truly remarkable how little Bento for iPhone is able to do - it doesn't even work in landscape orientation! Some database!

Michael
MMS

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:59 pm

MMS wrote:Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when I reorder the popups by going in via Database Properties-Fields and re-order the popups, the new order remains only until I perform a synch and then it all reverts back to the pre-ordered state!

Is it possible you're using multiple views in your database? I ask because the edit field order in the Database Properties section is only valid for when there is no view selected, and sometimes a database will be set up to have different field orders for different views. This means when you select a view, the field order will change to match that. Often times a database is set to startup to a certain view and hence it would change.

There is an option in the edit view screen which says 'When Filters and Sorting Change' and the choices are: Do Not Update View or Update View settings also. I believe that I should change this behavior so that if you change the edit field order settings via DB Properties and this option is set, the current view will save it's field order. I think that will eliminate a lot of hassles and confusion.

I am fine with the program colors as long as the program functions as you have intended it to do. But I think making a lot more use of graphics and colors will make it a lot more marketable to the Apple crowd who are more used to that sort of thing. Handbase is so much better than Bento it is not even close, but Bento has the nice graphics and packaging that might draw sales. It is truly remarkable how little Bento for iPhone is able to do - it doesn't even work in landscape orientation! Some database!

Thanks for the compliments re: Bento. When I was designing HanDBase on the iPhone last year, I felt that I should try to match the look and feel of the built in apps. Just like in Windows and Mac apps, productivity apps typically have a more business-y look that matches the standards for that platform. It's usually games and fun utilities (like MP3 players and such) that have skinned themes for their UI. That was my thinking when implementing HanDBase. I originally had an all black and white type look which is my personal preference for apps on the iPhone, but decided to match the look of the built in apps. I'm thinking in retrospect that option was a mistake but at the same time I'm hesitant to change- mainly because of the fallout from the last time I changed the UI (to center field names above the value rather than have them to the left). There was a mutiny going on from users- some loved the change and some hated it. So anything I do now will have to have an option to switch back to the current color scheme.

You mentioned Bento. I watched the video for Bento when it was first launched. It had the appearance of two different apps to me- the cover flow of the database browser looked completely different from the rest of the application. The rest of the application had very little in the way of colors and graphics, and I was not impressed with it as I have been when looking at their desktop version. To me, it seemed quite similar to HanDBase though with the black background I had first implemented (ala the Desktop Connect screen which I left as Black for a standout effect).

At any rate, I am not too proud a person to take advice and input on this. I would much rather have a lot of happy customers that love the design than a bunch of people who say it's ugly but has a great personality ;) So if anyone has any sort of design background and has any thoughts on how to make HanDBase look a little more snazzy, please let me know. In fact, I think I'm going to start a separate thread based on this!

Thanks again.
dhaupert

Postby MMS » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:33 am

Thanks Dave. I have just updated to the lastest version of HanDBase for iPhone and was excited to see the "ordering/alphabetize" button on the botton right is working. When I put it to the test, though, and synched my data, the pop-ups went back to their original order. So I tried something and it worked! I had my synch set to "synchronize all data" which is really not necessary since I have come to do all my data entry on the iPhone since the program on the iPhone has all the cool features like pop-ups. So when I switched the synch to "iPhone overrides the data on the desktop" all is well and the popups remain in the correctly alphabetized order.
One comment - I hate to ask too much, you have been so kind - I would like it to order digits in order of their value. One of my lists of popups is set to show various dollar amounts (no dollar sign, just decimal numbers) and the alphabetizer seems to do just that - alphabetize the numbers according the first number in each popup, rather than the value of the entire number.
I will get back to you re: the appearance issues. Personally, I think album flow as used by Bento is absurd. Record album covers are sort of cool. I just like cool looking icons with nice colors. Given the choice, though, I would take the function of HanDBase over appearance any day of the week.

Thanks for fixing the alphabetize button so quickly!

Michael
MMS

Postby dhaupert » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 pm

My pleasure Michael- I wish I were able to make a fix like this available immediately, but it's just the way the game is played on the iPhone. As it was, it was not that long at all for this update to be approved- so that was a welcome relief.

Re: Sorting of numerics that way, I will log your request and see if others have the same issue. I have not heard of this being a problem with anyone else, so it's not likely I'd be able to prioritize that over other items users have been clamoring for. Hope that makes sense!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch