[4.2.0] DB Popup Field Selection Crashing Application

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

[4.2.0] DB Popup Field Selection Crashing Application

Postby gordyt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Howdy Folks,

New HanDBase user here. I've been doing the various tutorials to try and get up to speed. Working on Tutorial VI: How to use the DB Popup field type (http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=253&UID=).

Was able to create both tables just fine, but when I add an entry to the Coffee Drinking database the application crashes when I try and do a Drink selection via the "Select Popup Value" mechanism.

To clarify... If I manually type in a value for the Drink field and Save, there is no problem.

If I click "Select Popup Value", the list of Coffee Types is displayed. As soon as I click on ANY entry in that list, the application just goes away.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this problem?

I'm using a new iPhone 3G S.

Thanks!

--gordon
gordyt

Re: [4.2.0] DB Popup Field Selection Crashing Application

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:04 pm

gordyt wrote:
New HanDBase user here. I've been doing the various tutorials to try and get up to speed. Working on Tutorial VI: How to use the DB Popup field type (http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=253&UID=).

Was able to create both tables just fine, but when I add an entry to the Coffee Drinking database the application crashes when I try and do a Drink selection via the "Select Popup Value" mechanism.

To clarify... If I manually type in a value for the Drink field and Save, there is no problem.

If I click "Select Popup Value", the list of Coffee Types is displayed. As soon as I click on ANY entry in that list, the application just goes away.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this problem?

I'm using a new iPhone 3G S.

Thanks!

--gordon

Hi Gordon,

Unfortunately a few such issues have been popping up with iPhone OS 3.0. We tested ahead of it's release, but never encountered any issues. I'm not having luck in duplicating this one. I went through the tutorial just now and created the database. It seems to be working just fine (I have a 3GS as well). If possible, can you send me your two databases? You can email me or PM it. I want to see if it happens for me!
dhaupert

Postby gordyt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Dave thank you for the quick reply. I have just emailed the two files to you.

Regards,

--gordon
gordyt

Postby rartal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:49 pm

I get the exact same error with my database. I'm using iphone 3.0, I installed the 4.2.0 upgrade, and now every time I try to entry in a value in a DB popup field the program crashes and takes me back out to the iphone "desktop". This is a very significant glitch, because my database is essentially rendered useless until it is fixed...
rartal

Postby wilsnunn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:13 am

My database also now unusable. Any idea when a new version will be available? Thanks.
wilsnunn

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 am

wilsnunn wrote:My database also now unusable. Any idea when a new version will be available? Thanks.

Hi,

Please see the sticky post at the top of this category (HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch), I'm using a single posting to report on the status of various bugs. As to a when will we see this, if this was any other platform, I could give you a version today. But it is really in the hands of Apple who can take between 5 days and 21 days to approve an update. The 4.2.0 update took 21 days to approve and some other updates have taken 5 days, so that's where the range comes from. Plus, I have yet to submit this, still doing some testing on this end and waiting to see if any other serious bugs come up (it's only been a day since 4.2.0 came out, so if there are other iPhone 3.0 incompatibilities, they will likely surface in the first few days).
dhaupert

Postby mmstallings » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Same problem with me also.

Is there a way to go back to the previous version in the meantime?

Thank
Michael
mmstallings

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:31 pm

mmstallings wrote:Same problem with me also.

Is there a way to go back to the previous version in the meantime?

Thank
Michael

It's not 4.2.0 that caused this, it's OS 3.0. So if you want to get rid of the problem, you can try to find a way back to OS 2.2.1. I have four devices on my desk now, two running 3.0 and two running 2.2.1 so I'm testing all sorts of combinations and finding that 2.2.1 users don't have this problem with 4.2.0 or 4.1.1 and 3.0 OS users have this problem with both 4.1.1 and 4.2.0. So if you can find a way to restore back to the older OS, you probably can get by until the update clears Apple.
dhaupert

Postby mmstallings » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:49 am

Right after asking this I remembered I had the previous version (4.1.1) on my desktop. I backed up my databases, deleted 4.2.0 and reinstalled 4.1.1 and my databases. It's a bit more stable. I don't have the problem with the DB popups, but still have the filter problem. But luckily there is a work around for that.

I don't know if you get enough praise in the forums but I want to say I appreciate all your efforts for working out the kinks (bugs) that popup. Like I said before, I'm a 10 year user and really couldn't live without this program in my day to day job.

Thanks
Michael
mmstallings

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:00 am

mmstallings wrote:Right after asking this I remembered I had the previous version (4.1.1) on my desktop. I backed up my databases, deleted 4.2.0 and reinstalled 4.1.1 and my databases. It's a bit more stable. I don't have the problem with the DB popups, but still have the filter problem. But luckily there is a work around for that.

Michael,

Where did you find the actual file to install? I'm thinking I could potentially redirect other customers to their 4.1.1 if the bug is something urgent for their uses.
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch