Call to GPS on iPhone?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Call to GPS on iPhone?

Postby john95127 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Can we get an external call to the GPS, I do inventories of physical locations and this would be a great add-on. Also could we export the gps coordinates in KMZ format for google earth?

Thanks!
John
john95127

Re: Call to GPS on iPhone?

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 am

I'm definitely planning on adding this one to the External field types we support on the iPhone. It's something you should find in a build some time this summer if all goes as planned.
dhaupert

Postby dcor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:17 am

Hi,
I second that motion! I'm slowly building a database of various local amateur radio sites and stations, and the GPS info would really help. I have been using a little program I wrote on the "i41CX+" HP-41 calculator emulator to get the info in the form of a string "Nxxx.xxxxxx Wxxx.xxxxxxx" that can be pasted into the search field of a map app. Gets it done but is kind of clunky. If there was a field type called, say, "GPS" or "Location", then the values could be lat, lon, and alt that would be great. I don't know if anyone has a use in mind for the error estimate value, which apparently are also available from the GPS, but maybe those could be added as well. Maybe they'd be handy as a way to mark readings that the user might want to manually fine-tune later.

Of course, values other than lat and lon would be more of a one-way affair. Altitude is not something you send to google earth or google maps, for instance.

What would REALLY be neat would be a way to embed the google earth or google maps (live view?) right into the database, the way you do a picture.

Thanks for a really fine application. I only changed from Palm Treo to iPhone once I knew HanDBase would be there for me.
dcor

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:09 am

Glad to hear of the interest in this feature. Embedding maps is also definitely doable. The problem we're having is that Apple has been holding on to our latest update for nearly a month now. It's all but stopped the flow of development as I can't submit followups until that one is approved or denied. So my original estimate in June of a late summer update having the GPS plugin is not likely to be possible at this point. Hopefully they'll get their act together and we can start banging out the frequent updates we're all hoping for!
dhaupert

Postby dreslism » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am

So what is the status of GPS field, or better yet, a map/address field?

If a new external field was map, then that could use the address field to send that to the google maps.

I have addresses stored in a database, I'd like to be able to tap on the address field, and have that sent to the built-in google maps application.

Please tell me this is in the works. :-)

Thanks,

Scott
dreslism

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your posting. This is something we definitely are still planning. Things went adrift this summer as you can read in other posts, but basically we lost several months due to a problem with Apple's approval process. Right now I'm hard at work on our 'extreme makeover' edition which adds many features as well as a new look and feel of the program. This should be finished from a coding perspective in about a week, but will take a few weeks to test and get through Apple's approval process. At best case, we'll see it before the end of the year, but possibly can fall into next year. I will say that GPS plugins and maps integration is not in this version. Other things that have been requested more and complained about more have 'trumped' this feature on our priorities list. It doesn't mean we won't ever add it, but that we had to re-prioritize the order in which we implement these features.

I'm optimistic about this and other features for 2010, sorry I can't say when we'll see it!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch