Field Visibility priority

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Field Visibility priority

Postby Mixer1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 pm

I keep loosing a field on the Handheld that appears to be configured correctly. In the list view, I usually loose the field id I add a new field. I think it has something to do with the priority in which HandDbase displays a field. It's nothing I ever noticed in the Palm version (But I believe in the Palm version I could manipulate field width in the List view - - - and I really really miss that)

I can't really put my finger on it. But it seems that if I add a field and disregard it's width when i create it, it seems to want to crowd out some other field.

I have the fields DATE, USER, ISSUE and DETAIL. They are not the first four fields in the database, but they are the first 4 fields in a particular view.

I create another field and don't bother with it's width. My reasoning is that it will be the last field in list view anyway, so I don't care what it's width is set for since I will never see it anyway. I am only concerned about it being there in record view - -and at the end is fine.

I have a number of fields between Detail and this new field, but they are all set to zero % of list view.

So, anyway, I add this field. I go back into list view and the field I added is showing and one of the other fields, User, is missing. Even though it is set to show up in field order as the second field in the view and it's width has not changed. it's as if the new field I created decides to crowd itself into the list view because I have not set it to zero. And it crowds out my User field.

I am wondering if the database is getting confused because all the fields I have a width defined for in list view equal more than 100%. And even when I go in and set the offending field to zero, the missing field is still missing.

Does this make sense??
Mixer1

Re: Field Visibility priority

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:20 pm

What you are describing makes perfect sense as a read, but not in terms of expected behavior. When you add a new field, it's typically after the other fields you already defined, and since a view by default has the order:
Field 1
Field 2
Field 3
etc

the view would likely have the new field below the others. Can you double check the views that you have defined and see that the order is such that the new field is after the other fields you're saying it goes in front of?
dhaupert

Postby Mixer1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:21 pm

OK, trying to get missinge field back

In looking Filed settings of a particular view:
Date - 15%
User - 22%
Issue-18%
Detail-45%

But when I view this VIEW in List view, The User field is missing.

The detail field ends it's items with a "..." so I know it is Not expanding, and I have empty space to the left of Detail.
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Mixer1 wrote:OK, trying to get missinge field back

In looking Filed settings of a particular view:
Date - 15%
User - 22%
Issue-18%
Detail-45%

But when I view this VIEW in List view, The User field is missing.

The detail field ends it's items with a "..." so I know it is Not expanding, and I have empty space to the left of Detail.

And you're sure you've scrolled all the way left? You may not be aware, but you can swipe left or right to scroll that list view right and left! Maybe you're one to the right and just need to scroll back to the left. Try it!
dhaupert

Postby Mixer1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 pm

Bingo! The first field stays locked in position but the others scroll. It was so odd because there was no visual indicator that the things had moved the right! I moved back to the left, and there it was!

Thanks. BTW, Was I correct that in the Palm I could modify the widths in List View with the stylus. I suspect it's one of those things where "we'd program it if it were possible . . . but it's not possible" issues.
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Mixer1 wrote:Thanks. BTW, Was I correct that in the Palm I could modify the widths in List View with the stylus. I suspect it's one of those things where "we'd program it if it were possible . . . but it's not possible" issues.

It's definitely possible, but not yet possible within the program. The current bar at the top of the list view that shows the field names is not yet selectable, so all the features like adjusting the field width, using the 'sort forward', 'sort backwards', 'set value to', etc are not yet available on the iPhone version. That does not mean I won't be implementing them in the future- I have every intention of doing so, once I figure out the smoothest and most intuitive way!
dhaupert

Postby jonathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 pm

dhaupert wrote:And you're sure you've scrolled all the way left? You may not be aware, but you can swipe left or right to scroll that list view right and left! Maybe you're one to the right and just need to scroll back to the left. Try it!

Oh, wow... this surprise behavior of the program caught me, too, and I was about ready to submit a bug report that the Views weren't working properly. Some sort of screen indicator that I am not horizontally all the way to the left would be wonderful.
jonathan

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:30 am

jonathan wrote:Oh, wow... this surprise behavior of the program caught me, too, and I was about ready to submit a bug report that the Views weren't working properly. Some sort of screen indicator that I am not horizontally all the way to the left would be wonderful.

Been trying to figure out an elegant way to indicate this. Any ideas?
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch