Difference between $9.99 & $14.99 versions

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Difference between $9.99 & $14.99 versions

Postby DragRacerX » Sun May 24, 2009 10:24 am

The first obvious difference is $5, no big deal (especially if I understand the added functionality correctly). I am trying to truly understand the added functionality of the iPhone Desktop Plus. At first, I thought that the Desktop included with the $9.99 version would only do non-data related interfacing with the iPhone. It sounded like you had to have the additional component of Conduit to move data between the PC & the iPhone. Then I read that it would allow you to transfer / upload / download data (csv or pdb files). So, it appears that Conduit just makes it easier, by mirroring database & data changes between the PC & the iPhone when they are synced. Will someone please confirm my assumptions? This is all that is holding me & a friend of mine up from purchasing one of the HanDBase for iPhone Apps. Thanking You In Advance, DragRacerX in Dallas, GA
DragRacerX

Re: Difference between $9.99 & $14.99 versions

Postby DragRacerX » Sun May 24, 2009 10:40 am

Now I am also wondering, do I purchase one or the other? Or must I purchase both to have Conduit? The only one available via the iPhone App is the $9.99 version. Reading about the Plus version ($14.99) in several places it says that it includes everything that the Basic ($9.99) has, plus Conduit. I am really confused. Please unconfuse me! Thanking You Again In Advance, DragRacerX in Dallas, GA
DragRacerX

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Hello DragRacerX,

Thanks for writing. This is Brian with DDH Software here. You've got several great questions there... let me try to explain!

First, please note that the purchase of HanDBase that you would complete via the iTunes App Store for $9.99 is for ONLY the iPhone / iPod Touch app.

Now, in regards to the difference between HanDBase Desktop and HanDBase Plus, the main difference is that the standard $9.99 package includes ONLY HanDBase Desktop. The $14.99 Plus package includes HanDBase Desktop AND the wifi based conduit.

With both packages, you can use Desktop Connect to transfer databases between the handheld and the desktop. With the Plus package, however, the conduit automates this. Instead of only allowing transfer of files, the conduit included in the Plus package includes the ability to record level sync between databases on the handheld and databases on the desktop. It also includes the ability to perform automated backups, on the off chance that you need to restore. Installation of databases is also more seamless with the Plus based conduit.

I do hope that this helps you to make your decision. Essentially, you'll need HanDBase for iPhone from the App Store for $9.99. You would then want to purchase either the standard HanDBase Desktop for $9.99 or the Plus package for $14.99.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby cassiel » Mon May 25, 2009 5:32 am

I was rather puzzled by "Desktop Connect" - then realised that I'm still using the Desktop app. for my old Palm Treo (for viewing DBs) even though I've been using HanDBase on my iPhone for several months...

I see no mention of crossgrade options to the Mac client - but given than a crossgrade to Windows costs $24.99 I guess $9.99/$14.99 is actually a good deal...

So I've downloaded the demo. The new desktop app still mentions the Palm in its Preferences pane - is there just one desktop app for the Mac for all possible types of smartphone? (I find the DDH site's product listings and navigation rather confusing...)
cassiel

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon May 25, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Cassiel,

We agree about the confusion. It continues to get harder and harder to describe all the offerings we have with all the platforms and desktops. But we are trying to make it easier. We're finding the customers that are the most confused are the ones who don't select the iPhone pages in particular, but rather choose the link labeled 'Purchase'. The main page for iPhone goes over things in a concise and hopefully less confusing way than the shopping cart pages do. To be clear:

The HanDBase for iPhone application is not sold by us directly, it must be purchased through the Apple App Store. Once purchased, there are several ways you can interface with your desktop from the iPhone version of HanDBase (sorted in order of additional cost to you):

1. Cost: Included with iPhone HanDBase
Desktop Connect. This is a mode built into the iPhone application that turns the iPhone into the equivalent of a mini web-server. Via this mode, you can use any desktop web browser to connect to the iPhone and back up your databases, install new ones, and also import and export CSV (Comma Separated Value) files. Use of this is covered in the HanDBase for iPhone User Guide:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/docs/HanDBas ... rGuide.pdf

One important fact about desktop connect is that the iPhone/iPod touch must be either connected to a wifi router or directly to the computer via a wifi AdHoc connection. Details of this are all covered in the user guide.

2. Cost: USD $9.99
HanDBase Desktop. This is an application sold separately from the iPhone application, and this does not work with the iPhone directly, but lets you make edits and additions to your data on the desktop. You still must use the Desktop Connect mode above to move data to and from the desktop, but once there, you can use the File Open command then browse to the files you stored from the Desktop Connect transfer.

There are versions of this for both PC and Mac. They are separate products, and both cost $9.99 each. There are 30 day trial versions available of each and yes, the same desktop program works for Palm users, iPhone users, etc.

3. Cost: USD $14.99 (currently, normally 19.99)
HanDBase Plus for iPhone add-on. This is a bundle package. Again, it does not include the core HanDBase for iPhone application, as Apple does not permit us to sell or distribute this in any way other than the App Store. But it does include two products:
HanDBase Desktop (see #2) above.
HanDBase Sync Conduit - this conduit uses the desktop connect mode of the HanDBase iPhone, but automates the entire process of backing up and syncing data between the desktop and the iPhone/iPod touch. The conduit works like our other sync products for other platforms in that a folder is created with a mirrored set of data from the iPhone. That is, for every database on the iPhone, there will be a matching database stored in this folder on the desktop. The desktop program included is aware of this integration and will show iPhone user(s) that match the folders created, so when you open a file, it will open the file within the mirrored folder. Then any changes you make to that database will be mirrored back to the iPhone on the next sync operation. This is a two way sync- so you can make edits and add new records on either the desktop or the iPhone and the changes will merge on both sides.

This product is also available for both Windows and Mac computers.

4. Cost: $24.99 (currently, normally 29.99)
HanDBase Professional for iPhone add-on. This too is a bundle package. It's the same as the Plus package, but also includes the ability to sync with Microsoft Access. The same mirrored set of folders are created, but in addition, after syncing the desktop folder and the iPhone database together, a mirror of this can be created in Microsoft Access, also merging any changes made there. It's what you might term a 3 way sync as all three can be merged together. There are also settings for other sync modes, such as only collecting data from the iPhone and appending to the Access database- something useful in a multi user environment where you don't want person A's data to wind up on Person B's device, etc.

Since Microsoft Access only runs on Windows computers, this package is only available to Windows users.

5. Cost: $39.99
HanDBase Enterprise for iPhone add-on. This is also a bundle package, like the Professional version above. But instead of syncing to Microsoft Access, you can now sync to virtually any ODBC enabled data source. ODBC is a standard communication language that lets programs communicate data with each other, and many database programs (and even Excel) support this protocol. So with the Enterprise version you can also sync with Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, Filemaker Pro, MySQL, and more. All the same things apply as the Professional version and this too is only for Windows computers at this time.

I hope this clarifies a bit what the packages are and how they differ. Let me know if there are any other questions!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby DragRacerX » Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Thank you Brian & Dave, I am no longer confused!
Brian's answer left a few minor questions in my mind.
But, Dave posted THE DEFINITIVE answer to my questions.
Thanks again to both of you.
DragRacerX

Postby cassiel » Tue May 26, 2009 6:22 am

OK - yep, all makes sense to me as well now.

So, it sounds as if I pretty much have the equivalent of the $9.99 Desktop already, since I bought it when I was using the Treo. (All I really used it for was exporting CSV files, since the Treo can't do that itself.) Since I've had the iPhone I've been backing up PDB files manually (via its embedded web server).

I'll have a play with the Plus add-on demo, to see how good the desktop editing is...

-- Nick.
cassiel

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Tue May 26, 2009 9:08 am

Hi again,

The desktop only you had is likely the desktop only we still offer, though it's likely been updated several times. One thing we have mentioned in the announcements section here as well as in newsletters for a while now is that the 3.x version is going away. So if you have the 3.x version, you'll likely want to upgrade or get the latest download now from the site because in a few short weeks it will be gone from our site!

Have a great week.

cassiel wrote:OK - yep, all makes sense to me as well now.

So, it sounds as if I pretty much have the equivalent of the $9.99 Desktop already, since I bought it when I was using the Treo. (All I really used it for was exporting CSV files, since the Treo can't do that itself.) Since I've had the iPhone I've been backing up PDB files manually (via its embedded web server).

I'll have a play with the Plus add-on demo, to see how good the desktop editing is...

-- Nick.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby Astroman33 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 am

For the original poster... I'm an end user like you who was using the Palm HanDBase desktop to manipulate databases. I was using the iPhone/iPod Touch app with my laptop web browser to sync individual databases. There was no additional expense required. (Nothing beyond the original $9.99 for the HanDBase app from iTunes.)

My Palm desktop version was 3.75 (IIRC)... just the other day, I upgraded to the HanDBase Plus for iPhone Add-on (the $14.99 desktop program ). As an upgrade, it was only $9.99. Well worth it! I like supporting developers who do good work and are responsive to their customers--which DDH Software is. The main way I'm using it right now is to sync ALL the databases from the iPod Touch with my laptop. They've really designed that well... and it works much faster and easier than using the app/browser syncing operation (one at a time).
Astroman33

Postby hrynkiw » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm

Dave said:

ddhsoftwareadmin wrote:3. Cost: USD $14.99 (currently, normally 19.99)
HanDBase Plus for iPhone add-on. [...]
HanDBase Sync Conduit - this conduit uses the desktop connect mode of the HanDBase iPhone, but automates the entire process of backing up and syncing data between the desktop and the iPhone/iPod touch. The conduit works like our other sync products for other platforms in that a folder is created with a mirrored set of data from the iPhone. [...] Then any changes you make to that database will be mirrored back to the iPhone on the next sync operation. This is a two way sync- so you can make edits and add new records on either the desktop or the iPhone and the changes will merge on both sides.

Is this the same sync as the wifi interface, or is this conduit activated when I sync my iPhone with iTunes (that is, wired)?

Hrynkiw
hrynkiw

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch