Difference between $9.99 & $14.99 versions

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Difference between $9.99 & $14.99 versions

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Hello,

Great question. At present, syncing via wifi is the only option available. Apple hasn't provided third party developers with the necessary information for developing USB based conduits.

The following explains in a snapshot how the wifi based sync is configured:

To configure the initial sync with HanDBase Desktop, you'll want to follow the steps below:

1. On the handheld, initiate a wifi network connect to the same network your desktop computer is on.
2. Launch HanDBase on the handheld and tap the icon in the lower right corner. A screen will display "Desktop Connect" and a URL in the format of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
3. Open HanDBase Desktop on the computer.
4. Select the Configure -> iPhone / iPod Touch Devices menu option.
5. Select the option to Create New Partnership.
6. When prompted, enter the URL from the handheld and allow the first sync to complete.

You should then be able to proceed with regular syncs going through steps one to four. In step five, you would then select the Synchronize option.

Hope this helps to configure the partnership and sync.

hrynkiw wrote:Is this the same sync as the wifi interface, or is this conduit activated when I sync my iPhone with iTunes (that is, wired)?

Hrynkiw
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Is this the same sync as the wifi interface, or is this conduit activated when I sync my iPhone with iTunes (that is, wired)?

There is unfortunately no ability to do a wired sync for 3rd party applications. That's something Apple reserves for only themselves, unfortunately. The conduit actually uses the same wifi connection as desktop connect (the feature included in the iPhone version), but adds much more functionality (see previous postings for details).

Hope this helps.
dhaupert

Postby ColinJS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:03 am

Hi,

How does the Pro version fit in? At present it seems to be only for use with Access - which I don't care about. But with the Palm version I think this included the forms designer, which may be in the pipeline, based on comments elsewhere.

If forms do become available, I would prefer to use them; so should I go for the Pro version, or use the $14.99 for now and worry later about Pro?

Thanks,

Colin
ColinJS

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:01 pm

ColinJS wrote:Hi,

How does the Pro version fit in? At present it seems to be only for use with Access - which I don't care about. But with the Palm version I think this included the forms designer, which may be in the pipeline, based on comments elsewhere.

If forms do become available, I would prefer to use them; so should I go for the Pro version, or use the $14.99 for now and worry later about Pro?

That's another good question. Since forms support is non-existant on the iPhone at this point, there is no package with the relevant options. The plan now is to follow suit of the other applications and thus it would be part of the Professional version. And the Professional version does actually include the desktop forms designer now so you can use it to design forms for your Windows Desktop in the interim, but we really don't promote that fact as it confuses people even more and makes for some very dissatisfied customers as well (know from experience!).

My suggestion to you is to get the Plus for now if you are not interested in Access syncing. When Forms comes out, we'll have an upgrade package so you can get there then..
dhaupert

Postby alexasha » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:56 am

Here is the follow up questions
I already have Handbase for palm enterprise edition. Now, I got my iPhone and handbase through AppStore. Do I need to upgrade my enterprice solution, or can I just get conduit and use my previously purchased software to create synchronization with MS Access?
alexasha

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch