Syncing photos to database

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Syncing photos to database

Postby Donn997 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 am

When I take photos to add to my database using v4.2.1, I see the photos on my IPhone, but when I sync to the desktop, the photos and data go away from the IPhone. What's wrong?
Donn997

Re: Syncing photos to database

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Donn997 wrote:When I take photos to add to my database using v4.2.1, I see the photos on my IPhone, but when I sync to the desktop, the photos and data go away from the IPhone. What's wrong?

I was hoping you could clarify what you meant by go away from the iPhone. Are you seeing the field that stores the photo file name be blanked out? Or was it that the images are not appearing on the desktop?

Please check and get back me!
dhaupert

Postby Donn997 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Dave,

After choosing edit in the database on my iphone, I would then go to the area that can contain a picture. Once I take the picture, I can see the picture in the database and the data associated with the picture, however, when I sync with my desk top, I noticed that the picture and data was no longer showing in the database on my iphone. I also took a look at the desktop database and didn't see the picture or data there either. I can see the categories I originally created to house a picture and data on both my iphone and desktop, but nothing shows.

Hope this helps.
Donn997

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 am

Donn997 wrote:Dave,

After choosing edit in the database on my iphone, I would then go to the area that can contain a picture. Once I take the picture, I can see the picture in the database and the data associated with the picture, however, when I sync with my desk top, I noticed that the picture and data was no longer showing in the database on my iphone. I also took a look at the desktop database and didn't see the picture or data there either. I can see the categories I originally created to house a picture and data on both my iphone and desktop, but nothing shows.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

The picture field is an external field type which are different based on each platform- for example, the picture field type is a type unique for iPhone, so you won't be able to view those photos directly within the Edit Record screen with other platforms like the desktop. That said, if you're on a platform where forms are supported (eg, Windows Desktop, Palm OS, Windows Mobile), you can create a form that will show the image in the field. So that answers the question of why you don't/won't see the image on your desktop!

But as to why the picture is being lost on the iPhone. That could be related to the sync mode you have set for that database. Please go to the Sync section in the HanDBase Desktop and choose 'Edit Sync Settings'. Click on the database and make sure it's set to two-way synchronization. If it is set to use the default settings, then check that the default settings are also set to two way syncing. This is how it behaves out of the box, but it's possible you could have switched this to Desktop Overwrites Handheld and that would explain this.

If the above is not the case, please supply me with the version number of your desktop program and which platform (Windows or Mac) and we'll take it from there..
dhaupert

Postby Donn997 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi,

It was set to "sync this database". I'm using Windows XP. Handbase version for the desktop is 4.1.5 and the installed packages is Handbase Professional for IPhone Add-on 4.1 Build R1
Donn997

Postby Donn997 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Dave,

It looks like things are working. When I sync the picture stays on the IPhone. There's one thing I've noticed though. When I take a picture, I'm asked whether I want to "use it" or retake. I then hit the "use" button, but unless I go back out and hit the "edit" button and save, the picture isn't saved. Is this a glitch? I would think the picture is saved to the database by just hitting the "use" button.

One last thing, how can I setup a form using XP to view the database and the associated pictures on my desktop?

Thanks,
Donn
Donn997

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:33 pm

That is indeed a bug. It doesn't happen every time and on every device. But it has happened for me and one of the beta testers we have so I am hoping to have this fixed for the next release update. It's actually been reported to happen when editing a field value as well on a rare instance, so I have to figure out why/how the OS is reporting that screen differently or something.

In regards to setting up a form, if you have HanDBase Professional or Enterprise add-on, it comes with the Forms designer. For your database, you can go to DB Properties and then choose Forms.

You can add a picture control to the screen and in the details point to the text field you have designed to hold the file name.
Add your other relevant controls and adjust your layout to your satisfaction.

To get the files from the iPhone though (images are stored separately) for now you need to use Desktop Connect. At the bottom of the list of databases, there is a way to download a zip file of your images. You can copy them to (I believe this is the path) My Documents\HanDBase\Images and unzip there. They should then show up in your form.

I am working on an update to the conduit to automatically sync and grab these image files from the device when syncing, so stay tuned for an update that will make this more automated!
dhaupert

Postby Donn997 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 am

Hey Dave,

You've been a tremendous help. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and I really enjoy the product. I'm sure you're working on ways to make it even better and I'm looking forward to your next update to help with photos. When you announced the capability to include photos to the database, I jumped for joy. That's something I always wanted from Handbase.

For now, I'll try creating a form that will include displaying my pictures. Please let me know when this becomes a more automated process.

Thanks a bunch and blessings to you,
Donn
Donn997

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 am

Donn997 wrote:Hey Dave,

You've been a tremendous help. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and I really enjoy the product. I'm sure you're working on ways to make it even better and I'm looking forward to your next update to help with photos. When you announced the capability to include photos to the database, I jumped for joy. That's something I always wanted from Handbase.

For now, I'll try creating a form that will include displaying my pictures. Please let me know when this becomes a more automated process.

Thanks a bunch and blessings to you,
Donn

My pleasure Donn- I'm glad you're excited about the new field types- I know I'm pretty excited about some of the other external field types I'm working on as well!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch